Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Reset MFA token LDAP

rgrrgr Newbie ✭

I am having trouble finding clear documentation on how to reset the 2fa for an individual user.

Configuration:

2fa TOTP enabled on a LDAP group on the firewall.

Scenario:

User has received a new phone and needs to have the 2fa rebound to his device.

Category: SSL VPN

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
  • LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

I am convinced this is another "problem in the making" because of the vendor's choice of vernacular.

Most people think of setting and resetting MFA, and that is what they will search for. However, they will never find the aforementioned KB article because it does not use those keywords.

Some technicians think of bind and unbinding a device, and that is what SonicWall has selected to use.

I would never pass the SW exam because I can't be bothered keeping track of this kind of nonsense.

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

If you've got the group synced with LDAP then the quickest way to do this is delete the user from the firewall. The user gets created the first time they log in and bind their TOTP. You would lose any manual permissions you might have set on the user, but we don't do that so it's not an issue.

• Enzino78Enzino78 Enthusiast ✭✭

hello @Arkwright, could you detail how doing this "the quickest way to do this is delete the user from the firewall"? On a 7.1.1, I have the AD Group mirrored from the Active Directory and member of SSL VPN Services. On the Group is enabled TOTP.

User is correctly recognized by the AD and assigned privileged SSL access, but is only present in the Status (User and SSL) that allow me only to kick him off, not delete him.

So I miss the operation to delete such user in order to unbind the TOTP assigned.

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

You aren't deleting them from SSLVPN.

Users > Local Users & Groups

Delete the user. The next time they connect, they will be prompted to enroll MFA.