Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Stateful sync down after firmware upgrade

Hello all,

Last night I upgraded two sets of HA pairs (different locations). I went from 7.0.1-5030-R2007 to the latest 7.0.1-5111-R4251. The update was a little difficult. Uploaded the new firmware, booted with current config. After the reboot I noticed that the firmware went back to the old one. Rebooted again and the FW failed over and had the newer firmware. After doing this a few times I eventually had the current firmware on both FW's. I'm now noticing that my "settings sync" has a thumbs up but the "Stateful Sync" has a thumbs down. They used to both be the same before. Not sure how to fix this.

Also wondering if maybe I did something wrong when I updated. Is there a certain process I should follow next time when I update them while in HA mode?

I've attached a picture of the state after the upgrade and the other picture is what it looked like before. Maybe something changed with the newer firmware? I should also note that fail over is working fine, I did test it.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls
Tagged:

Answers

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Disable and enable stateful sync in the HA settings, see what happens.

• sdeyoungsdeyoung Newbie ✭

Well oddly enough it was never turned on.. I don't have a license for stateful sync but on my other firewalls with the older firmware I always had the 2 thumbs up, lol. I've included images of my other firewall. This is what it looked like before.

Maybe this changed with the newer firmware?

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@sdeyoung you tagged TZ 300, I assume it's a TZ 370 or something else? Both units running the 7.0.1-5111? I experienced something similar with a NSa 4700, when the secondary not accepted the update.

--Michael@BWC

Yep, both are TZ370's. When I log into both of them they are running 7.0.1-5111. They were working fine before the update.

Is there a certain process to follow when updating them? It seemed trickier than it should be.

@sdeyoung usually HA updates are pretty painless, maybe the trouble was caused by the older firmware. I upgraded multiple deployments in the last weeks, upload the firmware to the primary (which I make sure is active), wait for the upload to complete, initiate the upgrade, finish.

I don't have any units without the Stateful HA license, but for I would say the screenshot with stateful thumbs down and sync thumbs up looks correct to me.

--MIchael@BWC

Hmm, yeah it's weird that every other unit I have out there with the older firmware all have the two thumbs up, even though I don't have the stateful license. I have 6 other pairs at other locations, none of them have stateful license and they all have the two thumbs up.

@sdeyoung maybe it's related to this one?

GEN7-37095 For TZ 270, TZ 370, and TZ 470 models only: the Enable Stateful Synchronization option is not displayed within the management interface for High Availability. If this option was enabled in prior versions, the setting will continue to function even though it is not visible.

It's mentioned in the 7.0.1-5111 Release Notes. Don't know why it's not displayed, because the license is still available.

--Michael@BWC

I just got off the phone with SonicWall support. Apparently the old firmware was reporting incorrectly. I guess with 7.0.1-5111 it's now correct.