Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

VMware Tools - a blast from the past

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi,

a customer asked me today how to update the VMware tools of a SMA 500v, I replied "You can't AFAIK".

I checked and Version 4.1u1 (8.3.7) of the VMware tools are coming with a SMA, the latest version is 11.0.6.

How is it possible that SonicWall can let the birds fly (and doing other things) but lack that much behind on that? I'am no VMware expert, but my educated guess is, they were some changes.

To put this in perspective:

Do we need a RFE for this, or tells us common sense this should be addressed? And while you on it, ESA (10.0.6) runs some weird version (2147483647) as well.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Secure Mobile Access Appliances

Comments

• Sorry.. VMware tools we don't do much.. you can check with VMware in google and update it.

If this is related and causing SMA, pls file an RFE..talk to sales and PM so that we can take a look..

Vijay Kumar KV

Enterprise Tech Support Consultant | SME

• Halon5Halon5 Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hi @BWC , @Vijay_Kumar_KV

You are right of course. That looks positively ancient.

The SMA team should just get on with it and fix it. I expect the other VMware based appliance products have the same issues.

Best, Steph.

• SimonSimon Moderator

I am aware of a case opened on this issue. I will see to it that the process gets started to fix this.

• AnonymityAnonymity Newbie ✭

I opened a ticket with Sonicwall last year about this. They gave me a link with instructions that did not work and that was it. I gave up on them.

• Let me know the ticket number and a link, so that we can check with Support folks.

Vijay Kumar KV

Enterprise Tech Support Consultant | SME