Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

TZ570 + Layer 2 Bridge Mode, Port Forwarding for VPN

Hello World and Good Evening All

I ran into a problem I can't quite figure out, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Background:

SMB Setup, Block of Static IP Address, External Users connect to DMZ VPN Server.

Primary Router: Cisco RV325, Assigned Public IP Address .100

DMZ Setup on RV325, for External Employees VPN, Assigned Public IP Address .101

SonicWall TZ570 Installed, X1 (WAN PORT - ISP) VPN, Assigned Public IP Address .103

Layer 2 Bridge Enabled, X2 BRIDGED TO X1 (LAN ZONE), Connecting to RV325 WAN Port

Before hand with just the Cisco RV325 acting as the firewall and router, I was able to use Port Forwarding to send the traffic on specified ports to the internal IP address for this to function properly.

I can ping the SonicWall TZ570, the Cisco RV325 Router AND the DMZ Server... but packets will not go through for VPN connection to be established. If I remove the SonicWall from the equation everything goes back to operating just as smoothly as before.

I've gone through a handful of tutorial videos and continue the hunt for the right answer, but what I am trying to figure out is how to get the Layer 2 Bridge mode to allow packets across the interface.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls
Tagged:

Answers

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

i know I'm asking for it, but why are you using two firewalls for this?

• It's not an odd question, I'll admit it's a little unorthodox, all things considered.

I'm familiar with Cisco devices, not so much with SonicWall these days -- the RV325 hosts the DMZ and manages the subnets for the network. The added SonicWall device configured with the Layer 2 Bridge was meant to increase security since we're adding direct access with a mobile app to a backend SQL server. The RV325 doesn't allow for SPI or any of the protection services that the SonicWall does.

Honestly if I could just figure out how to port forward across the interfaces... that would be wonderful. Since I can ping the server sitting on the DMZ I know the network connectivity there it's just the specific ports allows traffic through.

My point was more so the RV325 is essential EOL already, you might as well consider migrating to the Sonicwall.

Can you throw together a diagram for us? And maybe a screenshot of the interfaces page of your TZ570?

• If I was more familiar with the platform, I might -- worked with support for two hours earlier and after utilizing packet capture, I had a zone set for the wrong classification. Without the specification of the proper zone, it was getting caught by the implicit deny that is on the device by default. I will paste some screenshots here shortly of how it was taken care of. I honestly need to take a SonicWall Cert course.

"X2 BRIDGED TO X1 (LAN ZONE)" I had a feeling this was a typo but shouldn't have assumed. The zone assignment is important.

See my last comment here: https://community.sonicwall.com/technology-and-support/discussion/comment/10869

The best thing to do for learning IMO is to use the device. You have multiple static public IPs, setup a test environment on one of them. Sonicwalls KB articles have plenty of answers in them.