Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

TZ270 Deployment Concerns in Regard to new VoIP System

In my scenario, only 2 of the 5 static IPs would be used, 1 for the SonicWall and 1 for the Edge Router.

Also not sure if this question was best to post here or on the Ubiquiti forums so I posted it in both.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Category: Switches
Tagged:

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You have the correct idea, and this is (unfortunately) a very common setup.

In general, phone people don't know firewalling and won't work with IT people to set it up so they force clients into having multiple firewalls.

The next thing you'll run into is when there aren't enough drops to an office and you have to plug a PC in to the back of the VoIP phone, then what'll you do...

Answers

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

The next thing you'll run into is when there aren't enough drops to an office and you have to plug a PC in to the back of the VoIP phone, then what'll you do...

Oh, I know how to play this game.

You add 5-port Netgear switches, but you don't have enough electrical outlets that will fit that ungainly plug, so you need....

• Thank you for giving me some confidence in my own ability to produce solutions and confirming my suspicions about these VoIP phone people. I will be attempting the deployment this Friday and anticipate some troubleshooting, wish me luck!

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh, you're not wrong but I was more going for the 'if you hard set the phone switchport to a specific VLAN, then plugging a PC in to the phone will put the PC on the phone VLAN' thing.

Another thing most phone people don't 'get' is VLANing... VoIP phones are computers, treat it like one, not like an analog / digital phone! A managed switchport can do so much more than a FXS port on a PBX.