Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

configure IPv6 connectivity for an IPv4 mailserver in the DMZ

Hi,

I am trying to configure NAT64 for mailserver in the DMZ. External interface has a valid IPv6 address. Interface in the DMZ has a valid IPv6 address. I have no IPv6 DNS server internally.

Is there any way to configure this using NAT64? Can anyone tell me how or point me to the right documentation?

I only found a 2020 document. But that does not help me any further (https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/how-do-i-configure-nat-policies-for-ipv6-to-ipv4-traffic/190122012317986/) because it does not translate the traffice to a dedicated internal server.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answer

• Options
    CORRECT ANSWER
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I am not sure that document is relevant to your scenario as your Sonicwall won't be handling the relevant DNS queries.

Surely if you have enough v6 address space to give the WAN and DMZ interfaces v6 IPs, then you can give the mailserver a v6 IP as well? I am assuming that you mean a global IP when you say "valid IPv6 IP". Even if you don't, you could try NATing the global IP on your WAN to a link-local IP on your mailserver.

If your mailserver is not new enough to support IPv6 then......just give up now 😁

Answers