Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

High Availability Monitoring Questions on NSA 2650s

Recently got a 2650 HA to add redundancy, Configured HA on mysonicwall.com and on the primary 2650.

"High Availability Status" says primary state is active and secondary state is standby, both units have HA interface on X10.

But when I setup the secondary unit, I had already setup HA serials on the primary so as soon as the secondary connected to the network, it rebooted and became that HA (I assume).

Problem is I never configured any IP on it aside from initial setup of the WAN IP.

So when I go to HA Monitoring Settings, I don't know the IP of the HA secondary. Is there a way I can get into the secondary and configure an IP? Or should I delete the HA setup, reboot the secondary to factory default, set it up, give it IP, and then configure HA?

Thanks in advance!

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answers

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Did you follow this KB and assign the IPs in the HA monitoring section?

Probably would be easier to factory default the secondary and reconfigure the HA.

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @AKROMAM90,

The monitoring IP section lets you to configure monitoring/management IP address for each interfaces on the HA pair. The monitoring IP address dedicates two IP addresses on the interface used subnet for pure firewall (both active and standby) management purpose. The monitoring IP address can be configured on all interfaces on the SonicWall by logging into the Active unit and you can do the config right away. The active unit may be primary unit or secondary unit. Even if the secondary unit is active and still you get the option to configure the monitoring IP addresses for each interface. Hence removing the need for factory defaulting.

Note: Please make sure the IP's that you dedicate for the primary and secondary SonicWall's management purpose is not used by any device(s) on the network preventing the IP conflicting leading to a network disruption of unnecessary HA failover.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

Answers

• Akromam90Akromam90 Newbie ✭
    Thank you both! I missed the part of the config that the IPs you set become interface IPs, I thought they were just for ping purposes.

Appreciate it, I got it up and running.
  • SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @AKROMAM90,

Glad that I could answer your question. Happy to see that you are UP and running!!!

Have a good one!!!

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services