Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Am I the only one struggling with the high-resolution interfaces?

The Gen 7 Gui is designed for a high-res monitor and from recent experience that just doesn't work in the real world...

I have to work on a compact laptop, inside of RDP sessions, and remote connections for the most part where the resolution often maxes out at 768 high if I'm lucky.

Menus won't display correctly, scroll bars aren't always available in the browser and the 'save' button is at the bottom of most menus so it isn't even visible.

I spent a good chunk of my day constantly doing Ctrl+ and Ctrl- to change the zoom in my browser so I could alternate between reading the text on the screen and zooming out enough to see all the options and to be able to click save.

Somedays I really do wonder if the devs actually work with these interfaces before they release them... and I mean in real world scenarios not just on the devs perfectly setup desktop.

Category: Water Cooler

Answers

• SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Exactly what I have been saying as well and written to other threads here. I have to use about 70-80% zoom to be able to really do anything. In fact I’ve permanently switched one unit to Gen 6 UI which isn’t supported but actually works for things where Gen 7 doesn’t.

I don’t think the UI design team use any of the products or tests them on smaller screens. I thought responsive design is the trend these days with all the smartphones and tablets, but clearly the design team only use large high resolution displays and LAN network speeds for everything.

Not looking good for Sonicwall. Who would use a product that you can’t manage properly on the field.

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Resolution requirements for webpages reminds me of the pre-2000s web. I don't struggle with this as much as others, but the fact that the UX designers / programmers can't scale the interface is shameful.

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

On topic and planned for deletion by the mods.

The old interfaces had a SINGLE VISIBLE control at the far right-hand end of each line.

The new interfaces have MULTIPLE INVISIBLE controls at the far right-hand end of each line that require you to hover over to activate.

Could someone please explain why - when designing a NEW interface - you would adhere to that "design constraint" and then go and make it significantly worse?

Asking for a friend...

• DarkAlmanDarkAlman Newbie ✭

That's been driving me CRAZY!

Why would you hide something so critical to the basic operation of the firewall like that?

Why is the button for edit invisible until I mouse over it? Why can't it be visible all the time so I don't have to hunt and peck for it!?

Add that to the screen resolution issue and half the time I can't tell if the button it's off the visible screen or just hidden from view.

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

The new interface is not designed/configured for keyboard navigation. Keyboard navigation used to be essential, now it seems to be an after thought.

How would one navigate to a mouse-over edit button using a keyboard?