Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Routing web traffic through VPN

MINMIN Newbie ✭

How can I route my web traffic through my VPN?

I connect to our VPN using the Linux netExtender client with the command:

`netExtender -u username -p password -d domain server:port`

I don't want to route all web traffic through the VPN, just traffic for certain destination IP addresses.

(My company is in the US, but I will be in Asia for a few months, and this is new to me.)

I've encountered this help page http://help.sonicwall.com/help/sw/eng/published/1341379734_5.8.1/SSL_VPN_client_routes.html#1071890, which looks promising, but (1) I'm not an administrator of the VNP, and (2) I've no idea how to access the 'Client Routes page' it mentions.

Category: VPN Client

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Since you are not an administrator of the Sonicwall you will need to ask the person that is to make the changes.

The NetExtender client pulls its configuration from the Sonicwall device you are connecting to.

Answers

• Hi @MIN,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

In order to satisfy your requirement along with your existing SSLVPN setup,
    1. We need to create an address object for the website's IP address or Domain name.
    2. We need to call the address object in the Client Routes and User's VPN access sections respectively.
    3. Add a NAT policy on the SonicWall as,
    Source: SSLVPN IP Pool, Translated Source: X1 IP or WAN interface IP, Destination: Address Object of the Website, Translated Destination: Original, Service: Any, Translated Service: Original, Inbound Interface: X1 or WAN interface, Outbound Interface: X1 or WAN interface.
    4. Add an Access rule from SSLVPN to WAN as below,
    Source: SSLVPN IP Pool, Destination: Address Object of the Website, Service: Any, Action: Allow.

Upon completing these steps, the user can reach the website via SonicWall.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• MINMIN Newbie ✭

Thanks, @Saravan. I'm afraid that I need some instruction earlier in this process.

I'm not sure what program I am to use to carry out the changes you prescribe. I'm on Linux, and the only program that I'm aware of that I can use is netExtender. I have read its man page, but I don't see any options in it which correspond to the instructions you shared.

In case it matters, as a reminder, I am not an administrator for the VPN.

I don't know where the 'Client Routes section' or 'User's VPN access' section are. Are they to be accessed through my browser, through netExtender, or through a different program?

• Hi @MIN,

Please check with the person who manages the SonicWall appliance to which you are connecting using Netextender SSLVPN access. The person should be the IT guy. He has to perform all these required changes on the SonicWall appliance.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services