Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Internet connection drop after several hours on a 1:1 mapped email server

Steven430Steven430 Newbie ✭
edited December 2020 in Entry Level Firewalls

I have an Exchange email server. 1:1 mapped a public IP. After several hours of time, I found that the server is able to ping the LAN IP of sonicwall but can't ping any Internet IP.

What I did to resume the connection? Just simply swap the sequence of the 1:1 NAT rule between "incoming nat" and "outgoing nat" (e.g. rule1: incoming nat; rule2: outgoing nat). Then, after several hours, the problem take place again, and i just simply swap the rules again (e.g. rule1: outgoing nat; rule2: incoming nat). I keep to repeat the above steps for a week.

And I've already upgrade the firmware to the latest one and stopped all the UTM feature already. Anyone have idea on this issue?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answers

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @STEVEN430,

Thanks for the packet capture.

Looks like the issue is at the upstream of the SonicWall WAN side. As per the packet capture, I can see only the ICMP requests forwarded to the upstream of the SonicWall and no ICMP replies.

Packet before NATTING:

Src MAC = 00:0c:29:30:66:54, Dst MAC = 2c:b8:ed:5a:0c:9c; Src IP = 10.8.1.4, Dst IP = 8.8.8.8 || 00:0c:29:30:66:54 - MAC address of the host 10.8.1.4, 2c:b8:ed:5a:0c:9c - MAC address of the SonicWall LAN interface.

Packet after NATTING:

Src MAC = 2c:b8:ed:5a:0c:9d, Dst MAC = 00:25:9e:fb:8b:6d; Src IP = 210.3.49.218, Dst IP = 8.8.8.8 || 2c:b8:ed:5a:0c:9d - MAC address of the SonicWall WAN interface, 00:25:9e:fb:8b:6d - MAC address of the upstream modem.

Both these ICMP packets are forwarded by the SonicWall. So, SonicWall handles the packets fine. You may need to trace the packets on the upstream modem/router side.

Tweaking the NAT policy removes the problem temporarily - yes and this is because as explained on my previous comment, after tweaking, the ARP process takes place and hence the communication resumes. So, I presume the upstream modem loses ARP cache after specific time.

Please monitor how frequently the issue happens and make a note of the time value. Check for the ARP timeout on the upstream modem during the issue time without tweaking the NAT policy on the SonicWall. This could isolate and resolve the issue permanently.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• CORRECT ANSWER
    AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Steven430

Additionally create a route policy for the exchange server and try.

For example follow the below screen shot.

NB: If you are using Exchange Network Load Balance IP for NAT (Virtual Interface), You have to tweak the NAT policy.

Answers