Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

PEAP and MAC authentication

I've setup a RADIUS/NPS server for PEAP-MSchapv2 authentication. I see on our virtual access points, also have MAC filtering possible. Has anyone implemented both of these solutions successfully? I can't see a reason it won't work. I don't have a test environment unfortunately.

Also it has note stating: "ACL support per Virtual Access Point is supported by SonicPoint-N/AC

and SonicWave. If one Virtual Access Point is used by SonicPoint, global ACL

configuration will be applied by default." What does this mean and I don't see a global ACL anywhere.

Category: High End Firewalls

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi @DJHURT1,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Global ACL can be found on the Provisioning Profiles page under MANAGE | Access Points | Base Settings | SonicWave Provisioning Profiles tab.

VAP ACL can be found on the Virtual Access Points section under MANAGE | Access Points | Virtual Access Point.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
    edited November 2020

I see several profiles at  MANAGE Access Points | Base Settings | SonicWave Provisioning Profiles tab. I guess I'm confused seeing how settings would need applied to each profile rather than one "global" setting.

• @DJHURT1 - Each profile over there points to various Sonicpoint/SonicWave models. Please disturb the one that is relevant to your access point model.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Do you see any reason we couldn't enable MAC filtering while doing PEAP? I don't have a way to test unfortunately but I suspect simply enabling MAC filtering on the VAP, I can still enable WPA2-EAP correct?

No error. I haven't attemtped it yet. Since we just have the production unit, no testing unit, I wanted to confirm this would work while putting the plan together.

• @DJHURT1 - This should work.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

I just found this reading through the connectivity guide:

IMPORTANT: You cannot enable the Remote MAC address access control option at the same time that the

IEEE 802.11i EAP is enabled. If you try to enable the Remote MAC address access control option at the

same time that the IEEE 802.11i EAP is enabled, this error message displays:

Remote MAC address access control can not be set

when IEEE 802.11i EAP is enabled.

I'm taking this as MAC ACL and PEAP cannot in fact be used together on SonicOS?