Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

NSv Firmware Upgrade

Ive run into a fun issue where I have deployed the 6.5.0.2 version that was presented as my download in my portal. I have downloaded, unpacked, configured, registered, repacked, and shipped off to my data center to be uploaded and installed. After a couple of fun "I didnt expect that to happen" with the registration, I find out there is a new firmware. However, I cannot upgrade from 6.5.0.2 to 6.5.4.4 and have to perform this all over again! This requires a day of my time, and the involvement of multiple people from my data center. Do you foresee this being the case with future firmware releases? I hope not as this becomes a very expensive process for upgrades.

Category: Virtual Firewall

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TIJUTIJU Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @JustMe This issue is only there on 6.5.0.v version. Starting 6.5.4.v, user can make use use of system upgrade option and does not need to redeploy the image. i.e. say a user is running 6.5.4.4-44v-21-757 version and wants to upgrade to the latest version which is 6.5.4.4-44v-21-987 he just needs to make use of system upgrade feature.

Answers

• Hi @Saravanan do you have any thoughts on this one?

@micah - SonicWall's Self-Service Sr. Manager

• Hi @JUSTME,

Sorry for the late response.

Unfortunately, upgrade from 6.5.0.x to 6.5.4.x is unsupported at this time. The possible way of migrating to 6.5.4.x series of NSv is as follows,

• Export current settings from 6.5.0.x deployment
    • Re-deploy with Version 6.5.4.x
    • Import the settings on the 6.5.4.x deployment

I know this is a time consuming process but due to technical enhancement reasons on 6.5.4.x series, the support is unextended. We can definitely raise an RFE (Requesting Feature Enhancement) to avail the upgrade support from 6.5.0.x to 6.5.4.x release.

Once again sorry for the delay in response. Hope this information helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• OtownOtown Newbie ✭

Hi @Saravanan , due to https://psirt.global.sonicwall.com/vuln-detail/SNWLID-2020-0010

It looks like I might have to do this for my Azure based NSv's. Do you have a more comprehensive guide on this:

NOTE:  For Upgrade to Firmware Version 6.5.4.4

•     Export current settings
    •    Re-deploy with Version 6.5.4.4
    •    Import settings

How do I do this in azure and keep the assigned interfaces/VNet IP's and PIP?

• Hi!

The process seems to be simple.

But what about the registration and licenses. How do I move registration and licenses from the old NSv to the new one?

Thanks.

• Hi @SEBASTIAN,

Please follow the steps listed in the below KB article to ensure the transfer of licenses done properly. 

If you have already dismantled the existing NSv deployment, you can perform the de-registration of the serial number from MySonicWall or can take help from our Support team to do this.

Please let me know if any questions.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

• Hi @Saravanan

This procedure is not exactly the same as the one it has to be done for firmware upgrade.

In my case I have to do a new deployment. And after that, import settings from backup.

So, it is another VM. A new one.

If I "DEREGISTER", is that going to give me some kind of key to import to the new VM?

• @SEBASTIAN - If its a different deployment than the existing one, you may need to have new set of activation keys and licenses. Two deployments cannot be ran simultaneously with same serial number and auth key respectively.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

• SEBASTIANSEBASTIAN Newbie
    edited February 2021

Hi @Saravanan

We have to upgrade NSv50 SonicOS Enhanced 6.5.0.2 firmware to 6.5.4.4.

To accomplish this, Support says we have to do a new deployment with the new firmware and then import settings from backup.

My question is. How do I register and transfer licenses from the old NSv50 to the new one?

• Hi!

I answer to my self.

It needs to be done a "Reset Trust" for the NSv VM. And this task can be accomplished only by Sonicwall Support staff.

Since the VM GUID changes for the new deployment, it is this new GUID the one to be used for registration.

Thanks.