Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

NetExtender on the New Surface Pro Snapdragon PC's

SonicNoviceSonicNovice Newbie ✭

I've tried to install NetExtender on my Surface Pro 11.

Not sure if it's the new CPU, but on a clean install of Windows. The netextender install fails. I believe it fails when it tries to install the driver.

Our VPN uses 2FA, so I'm not sure how to get in? Do we need to abandon the SonicWall ecosystem, or is there some other form of support?

Category: SSL VPN

Answers

• MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee

Hello @SonicNovice

Snapdragon processors are ARM-based and neither Global VPN Client nor NetExtender do not support that. But, you should be able to download and use Mobile Connect application, which is the alternative for SSLVPN. This can be downloaded from Microsoft Store.

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/is-netextender-gvc-compatible-with-arm-processor-getting-error-this-installer-is-only-meant-for-x86-machines/240214174419030/

• SonicNoviceSonicNovice Newbie ✭
    edited June 21

Does Mobile Connect support 2FA?

Actually, just tested and it works and it does support 2FA.

I am glad to read that you have Mobile Connect up and running with 2FA.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@MustafaA I don't get why Mobile Connect on Windows is coming up over and over again, despite the fact it's end of support for nearly two years? What are the security implications of that?

https://www.sonicwall.com/de-de/support/product-lifecycle-tables/sonicwall-mobile-connect/software/

Wouldn't it be the time for a proper solution considering the uprise of Windows on ARM etc?

—Michael@BWC

@BWC , you touched on a valid point in my personal opinion. I will try to get more insight from our PM team.

• FJCBAFJCBA Newbie ✭

Hi,

Please let me add to the debate that on the new Microsoft Copilot+ Surface Pro that just came out last week, on a freshly installed Windows 11 Pro without any software, Sonicwall Mobile Client does not work (see the caps).

Therefore remote work is not happening with our Sonicwall and we need to replace it urgently.

This is not good business. I am Jack's disappointment 😕

• nickfosternickfoster Newbie ✭

Another user here with a Windows 11 Pro Surface device on 64-bit ARM chipset. Please can you sort the NetExtender Client issue out ASAP, or provide a suitable alternative solution. Your support agents are little to no help on the phone and there are clearly many users experiencing this same issue.

Get a grip!

• RinconmikeRinconmike Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited September 9

I am using the mobile connect on a Microsoft Surface Laptop 7. Most the time when I go to connect, I get an error "Failed to read socket."

If I try to reconnect several more times, it eventually connects. Somethings I seems like I need to try 10 or more times.

Anyone else see this?

• Halon5Halon5 Enthusiast ✭✭

Just adding my 2 cents.

I just signed up with Microsoft to sell Surface Pro and I’m have just read this thread.

Urgghhh.What the..

• RinconmikeRinconmike Enthusiast ✭✭

anyone hear anything new on this from Sonicwall? I have not open a case and need to.

• Wmpenn667Wmpenn667 Newbie ✭
    edited September 24

We have also just encountered this issue, and have requested information from our SonicWall representative. Will advise if we hear any updates

• dks_Derekdks_Derek Newbie ✭

Just came across this issue due to a client with some new surface pros. I am able to setup the old mobile connect app but am also getting the failed to read socket error. One thing I noticed is that it would constantly throw the error if it was connected via physical connection, while on wifi it was more intermittent and I was able to make a connection

• ArielFArielF Newbie ✭

Can someone from Sonicwall at least tell us if a compatible application is on the horizon?

• AckermanITAckermanIT Newbie ✭

This is really becoming a problem for us. We have field engineers that need to use windows based tablets with LTE built in but none of them have Intel processors. Sonicwall needs to update their NetExtender to work on common processors. Mobile Connect is not a good solution and doesn't work half the time anyway.

Hello @ArielF and @AckermanIT

We have good news from our Product Management Team. The upcoming Windows NetExtender version 10.3.0, expected to be released at the end of November, will include support for ARM-based processors.