Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

TZ670 on 7.0.1-6161 not assigning DHCP IP Address

RinconmikeRinconmike Enthusiast ✭✭
edited August 31 in Entry Level Firewalls

8/16/24 I updated my TZ670 from 7.0.1-5151 to 7.0.1-6161. All seemed ok.

A few weeks later I had a Surface Laptop 7 (new device) that was previously connected to the network via WIFI (a few weeks earlier on 5151) with an assigned IP from 670 DHCP and now it would not pull a new IP address (on wifi) now on 6161. The work around was to assign a Static IP address with the Mac Address in the TZ670.

I though this could be a WIFI issue with Unifi, but last night I went to hook up a new Unifi U7 Pro Access Point (hard wired) and this too would not pull an IP Address. This morning I assigned a Static IP address in the 670 and it worked fine. So the not pulling an IP address on both WIFI and Hard Wired seems to be an issue with the TZ670.

I am assuming this is a bug in 6161 and wanted to post here. So far these are the only issues I have with 6161. I have this 670 at home and my setup I have many static IP addresses I created when I set this up a few years ago, Many devices that pull IP via the DHCP, and a bunch of port forward for cameras. I use SSL VPN and have all security services with the essential package.

I am now debating staying on 6161 or going back to 5151. I do have an EXP I exported and also an EXP saved to the device and cloud backup from 8/16. I also downloaded the current firmware before I updated to 6161.

Has anyone else seen this issue with devices not pulling an IP with 7.0.1-6161?

If I want to go back to 5151 do I need to factory reset and then import the EXP file from 5151?

What is the benefit of downloading the current firmware before I updated to 6161?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Rinconmike you might do a Packet-Monitor for udp/67-68 and check what DHCP client and server doing.

Unrelated I had a Windows system a few weeks back attached to a TZ 400 (Gen6) and it did not accept a new IP. It was asking for the same IP over and over again but it was already occupied by another device.

Wireshark is your friend on this.

—Michael@BWC

• MariuszMariusz Newbie ✭

@Rinconmike install the latest firmware.
    Version 7.1.2-7019 works quite well for me.

• RinconmikeRinconmike Enthusiast ✭✭

Thanks. I am not sure how to do that and need to figure out. I just had another device the same thing. It seems to be uses who were once on the network and came back. AThis time it was an iphone.

• RinconmikeRinconmike Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited September 2

My issue might be i ran out of IP addresses. I had my DHCP from .70 to .120. I increased it from .120 to .210. I have a bunch of static up to .60 and from .226 to .244. Many of my statics are old devices (cameras or AP) and I can probably delete (or update to the newer device). At one point I was assigning all IP Cams and APs with static IP. Over time, as I replaced devices I did not change the MAC for the new device so the new device is pulling a DHCP IP and the older static can be removed or I will update the static entry with the newer device MAC.