Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

100% CPU (1 Core) usage of SonicWallEnforcementService

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi all,

what is it with Capture Client (Advances) and the grubbing of CPU time?

In older versions WebProtectionService was annoying because it consumed 100% CPU time of all cores avaiable, for no reason and occassionally.

In 3.0.11 the SonicWallEnforcementService is consuming 100% of a single CPU core most of the time without obvious reason? Why is that? Anyone else having this?

There is no Firewall Enforcment enabled in the Polcy, only for the CaptureClient Tenant/Group. The CaptureClient is in the state (Device Status) of "Connecting" for no reason most of the time, maybe these two circumstances are related?

I'am talking macOS 10.15.4 if it matters.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Capture Client

Answers

• SuroopMCSuroopMC SonicWall Employee

Michael@BWC - we don't have a known issue for this and haven't seen this in our test environments either. With the clients running for weeks together.

Can you please open a ticket with Support so that they can collect diagnostic files? Also can you run “Sample Process” in the Activity Monitor app on Mac for the SonicWallEnforcementService process when it is in that state? And attach that to the case as well. Feel free to reference this community thread when opening the case.

Thanks!

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi Suroop,

opened as #43407647 a minute ago. I'am kinda curious what caused this.

Take care.

--Michael@BWC

Just to keep the Community up to date, the Support Team is on it.

Today my system started without any high CPU load for about 3 hours, Device Status was "Online and compliant" and switched for no obvious reason to Device Status "Connecting" and this was the point where the 100% CPU load started again. This seems to be related, now we just need to find the reason for this :)

Keep you posted what we can figure out.

--Michael@BWC

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Thanks @BWC keep us updated.

• davetapleydavetapley Newbie ✭

I'm also seeing this issue, 10.14.6 here.

Is there anything I can do to help and/or be notified when it is resolved and/or a workaround available?

Hi @davetapley

maybe you can create another case and reference to #43407647 reporting that you see the same problems.

Currently the support was asking for a english system, mine is running in german. But I don't think it's a locale issue, it seems that losing the connection to the backend causes trouble and CaptureClient hangs in Device Status "Connecting". When this happens 100% on one core.

You should check with the Activity Monitor which process is affected. In my case SonicWallEnforcementService, I monitored the process with nettools, and when the persistent HTTPS connection gets lost, the trouble starts.

I'll update this thread regularly, so you should get notified by the system.

--Michael@BWC

The Support Team informed me today, that the problem could be identified by the Enginieering Team and they're working on a resolution.

Keep my fingers crossed :)

--Michael@BWC

• pmelchioripmelchiori Newbie ✭

Same problem with 3 Mac in our company... 🙁

I use to kill the process 😊

Hi @pmelchiori

finally, someone is sharing my issues, I thought it is that kind of bug again which seems I'am the only one on earth facing it.

Hopefully we'll get a fix in the next CC, no ETA so far.

Keep killing :)

--Michael@BWC

• ROFISHROFISH Newbie ✭

Oh wow, just now found this thread. I too had this issue on Macs and it's now being resolved via a ticket.

Hi @ROFISH

you got this resolved? Last status on my ticket is still that I need to wait for a new release.

--Michael@BWC

Hi,

is this some kind of self-healing issue, if I'am not mistaken the last couple of days went through without the high CPU usage. No new version installed, so it must be something at the backend.

--Michael@BWC

Hi guys,

today I had a blast from the past, SonicWallEnforcementService went to steady 200% (2 Cores), stuck in the state of "Connecting" and complaing that Threat Protection was not running.

I had connectivity issues to WAN around the time when I started my system, which shows in a couple of resolving and connecting complaints in the CC log file.

Restart of my system seems to resolve it for now.

CC 3.1.1 on macOS 10.15.7

Anyone else on the same boat?

--Michael@BWC