Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Unable to register the firewall

I am new to firewalss.

for my home labbing i bought a used tz400 firewall from a person.

since the person who doesn know the password word of firewall i had reset the firwall.

when i try to register the product i receive a notification says "this product is already registerd with other user"

that reseller also doest know the details of registerd user.

so, is there any way to re register the product under my name?

my main purpurse is enabling vpn connection to my home network from remote place, to achive this goal should i need to purches additional licence ?

i there any place where i can learn about sonic wall firewall?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls
Tagged:

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @FIRNAS87,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

You should be able to get the device registered under your name. Please contact our Customer Service team w.r.t this query and they are the right resource to help you on this matter.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Basically if you can prove you physically have the device (e.g. send them a photo of the serial number label), and purchased it (e.g. invoice), they will transfer the device to your account.

Normally though you'd buy from a reputable seller who can transfer the device to you.

• mervynmervyn Newbie ✭

Can someone help me on this as I'm also facing the same problem - "Serialnumber is already Registered to some other user". Sonicwall support insist on getting an approval from current owner.

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@mervyn - SonicWall has the guidelines regarding device transfer clearly identified at the start of this KB article:

If you know the previous owner of the device, get them to start the process.

If you do not, then must rely on SonicWall to conduct their attempts. However, if these prove unsuccessful you won't be able to use the device.

• mervynmervyn Newbie ✭

@Larry thanks for the update

• rohdedrohded Newbie ✭

I am finding the same roadblocks also. While I have possesion of the device, they will not register it since the previous owner doesn't respond to emails. (I am pretty sure they are long gone). They have been super helpful in the past getting registered but somehow have changed. It makes the firewall (and a few hundred dollars) worthless. I guess it is time to look at other brands.

@rohded - you purchased a used firewall of unknown provenance, cannot register it, and somehow it is the vendor's fault.

Yeah, go look at other brands...

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

If the secondary market value of Sonicwall hardware is degraded by Sonicwall no longer transferring without explicit permission of the previous owner, then looking at other vendors is a rational response. Assuming not every other vendor behaves the same way.

This is a change in behaviour by Sonicwall, it definitely just used to be a case of sending a picture of the label and they'd sort you out.

• rohdedrohded Newbie ✭

It the change in policy that bothers me. As Arkwright said, you could usually show ownership by possession and they would help you out. Just the change is policy is vendors issue. I guess you have never run into that problem before.

SonicWall's published policy (linked to above) has been in place for more than three years, possibly four. I may be making this up entirely, but it more than likely corresponds to the introduction of the Gen 7 devices. What you refer to as a "change" is certainly not recent.

Their primary (possibly sole) goal now is to move NEW units to as many sites as possible. As far as they are concerned, the fewer recycled, older models out there, the better. They have never truly supported the so-called "after market" devices.

They used to have sales managers reach out to registered owners to track down older Gen 6 and 6.5 units and try to get them to upgrade. That process has practically been eliminated. Now, if they can't establish who owns something, then it is effectively dead - and nothing you can say or do will change that.

I've heard too many stories of Secure Upgraded devices appearing on eBay for the unfortunate buyer to learn that one of those devices cannot have the license transferred (again) because it already was. And I don't blame SonicWall for cracking down on these "black market" items.

And this is from someone who has been disappointed by SonicWall far too many times to count.