Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Configure TZ 370W as an Access Point

Hello All,

I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I have a TZ 370W catching dust and I decided i want to add it to my home network as a Access Point.

I'm new to Sonicwall so I wasn't able to configure this device to work as an AP.

I have a working network with firewall/router/AP etc.

I have a network cable ready to plug it in this device so i can expand my wireless coverage

Yes i know its overkill but this is what i want to do for now.

I need direction step by step if possible on how to configure this device just for an internet access point.

Thank you in advance

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• @shiprasahu93 any thoughts on this?
  • TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think she works for Sonicwall anymore.

Anyways, Sonicwall W model firewalls cannot be turned into 'just an AP' AFAIK. It's not like a home device (netgear, linksys, etc.) that is based on OpenWRT that has the capabilities to do that. I doubt Sonicwall ever considered anyone would want to do this, and thus did not provide the functionality.

• Thanks @TKWITS .. i'll keep playing with it.. maybe there is a way.

There MIGHT be a way to do it using L2 bridging to the W0 interface but I'm gonna doubt it's worth bothering trying.

• jmathewsjmathews SonicWall Employee
    edited November 2022

It's possible by doing the following:

1. Configure a network interface, such as X0, and put it on the same subnet as your existing network. Connect the interface to your existing router.
    2. Create a virtual interface under W0 and bridge it to the interface connected to your network
    3. Create a virtual access point and select the VLAN ID associated with the virtual interface
    4. Disable the default SSID and add the newly created SSID (VAP) to the virtual access point group.
    5. Select the VAP Group under the wireless settings.
    6. You can choose either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, but you cannot run them simultaneously.

I hope that helps.

@jmathews Is this an supported configuration?

• jmathewsjmathews SonicWall Employee

Yes, this would be an unsupported configuration.