Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Critical issue on 6.5.4.6?

NatNat Newbie
edited June 2020 in Mid Range Firewalls

Hi Team,

we received a email from sonicwall SA said don't upgrade to 6.5.4.6. I think this should be discussed in partner only sub-channel but currently we don't have one.

Can anyone explain this email? What is the critical reason for do not upgrade?

How to determine firmware version for new installation? 6.5.1.5 or 6.5.4.6?

FW: Web Post Announcement: SonicOS 6.5.4.6 Maintenance Release

Date: 3 June 2020 at 1:38:21 AM HKT

To: Beau

From me to you, based upon initial reports from the field, do not upgrade to this version – especially if you have managed Dell switches.  

Beau

Solutions Architect, Professional Services

Category: Mid Range Firewalls
Tagged:

Answers

• shiprasahu93shiprasahu93 Moderator
    edited June 2020

Hello @Nat ,

There are some internal VLAN changes done. I have heard that it has caused some provisioning issues with Dell switches.

I don't have detailed information but I can get that for you. So, it would be good to hold off the upgrade for now if you are managing Dell switches through the SonicWall.

I would just like to add that we are aware of the problem and working on it actively.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• NatNat Newbie

Hi @shiprasahu93 ,

So if we are not using any dell or sonicwall switch, we are good to deploy 6.5.4.6 for new firewall installation?

• shiprasahu93shiprasahu93 Moderator
    edited June 2020

Hello @Nat ,

Another issue that I am hearing about is resource access is failing from SonicWall Mobile Connect version 5.0.15 on Android devices.

That is also something to look out for.

So, if you don't have any Android VPN users, it should be fine.

If you don't have any pending issues or already running on a HF version from 6.5.4.5, I would suggest to wait for a week, so that way we can get more info from other installations.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

• Poorni_5Poorni_5 SonicWall Employee

@Nat ,

My suggestion would be wait for a while and then do the upgrade. Definitely this version has huge amount of fixes to address many issues, but lets not immediately. And if you have a need to upgrade then take a backup and export the settings before upgrading.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks & Regards,

Poornima.T.R

• Hi @Nat,

Adding a bit more context to this thread. For critical environments, we recommend users to install only General Releases and Security Releases. These firmwares have been heavily tested and reported a sustained stability and no new issues.

As for June 2020, the most stable firmware is the security release 6.5.1.5 and we recommend users to remain in that version until the next General Release firmware, that will be based on 6.5.4.6, is posted later this year.

Now, for the users that are running Maintenance Release firmwares from 6.5.2.x to 6.5.4.x because they need to use the new features or because the firmware was already installed at the moment of the purchase, we then recommend to keep installing the newer Maintenance Releases to bring more stability to the environment, as the developers continue to optimize the code and fix the minor issues found, until the next General Release is posted.

Also, as a best practice suggestion in every Software based scenario, we recommend customers to wait between 2 weeks to 1 month before installing new weposted firmwares to let the development team identify and quickly fix unexpected and disrupting issues that only appear in production environments.

This is the main reason you received the email from our Solutions Architect Beau, as a preventive measure to not to rush in the firmware upgrade and experience unexpected disruptions that we have not fully identified.

Hope that this explanation helps you plan better the firmware upgrades in a future. As always, feel free to ask here in the community for any doubts and we will be happy to provide you with the best feedback.

Regards

Raul Cuevas

• I can confirm this. I have also reproduced on 5.0.12 on an Android 5 device.

I posted my experience in the Firmware 6.5.4.6 thread

Sorry for crossposting, I saw this response too late.