Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Geo-IP Location only wrong on the Firewall

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi,

today I needed to access a Customer Appliance and couldn't get through. I checked my own Appliance and saw that the Connection got dropped because of Geo-IP Filtering. The IP was reported as Ukraine, but should be located in Germany.

I checked the Whois information and iplocation.net and all came back with Germany.

Next step would be to report this mislocation to SonicWall, but their own reporting Tool at https://capturelabs.sonicwall.com/m/feature/ip-reputation-lookup/ is returning the correct Country.

Does anyone experience this kind of issues lately? I checked on multiple Appliance Gen6 and Gen7, no difference.

Will open a ticket for that and hopefully get a competent TSR not wasting my time.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• TonyATonyA SonicWall Employee

Hey Michael,

On that site you listed: https://capturelabs.sonicwall.com/m/feature/ip-reputation-lookup/ at the top left, you can click on:

To submit requests for status to be reviewed, please click here.

And a form will pop up and you can put the information there. I understand that on the site its showing the correct location, but on the firewall it is not - The team that gets this request will look into it. In the form you will have to put your email so they can contact you to inform you of the correction. I would do this first then open a ticket to track it. Please make sure to include the email that you put in the submission on the support ticket so we can help track the request.

Anthony

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@TonyA I created a ticket and hope for the best.

At least it does not seem like a wide spread problem.

--Michael@BWC

@TonyA any idea what I should make out of this? Will there be a review by the GRID reasearch network because the Lookup Tool on the web does show the correct Country, but the Firewall does not? These fuzzy answers are one of the reasons why I usual avoid to contact Support.

>after submission done, Geo Ip location is fixed only after doing a reputation check 
    for the IP address by the Sonic GRID research network.

If you require more in-depth troubleshooting, we would suggest giving our support line a 
    call by visiting https://www.sonicwall.com/support/contact-support/ 
    to find the support number for your region. When calling in, please reference this 
    ticket number and the engineer will be able to clone a Phone case with all the 
    information and attachments from this Web case, this ensures that no data is 
    lost when contacting our phone team. 

--Michael@BWC

Hi @BWC

Could you provide me with your case # ?

Thanks!

@TonyA we're entering bad joke territory, my request is still stuck with the Backend team for 2 weeks now. I can't imagine what's the holdup, but sadly to say it's compliant with the common SonicWall Support experience these days.

--Michael@BWC

Hi @BWC ,

Sorry - only seeing this now.

This should be resolved with this evenings database update. Please check tomorrow morning and let the support engineer know of the results.

Thanks,

Anthony

@TonyA GeoIP is now returning the correct Country information. It took only 3 weeks, could be worse (like ES or SMA cases).

Thanks for checking.

--Michael@BWC