Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

What are the upgrade / replacement models for the SonicWave 200 series APs?

LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Just received the SonicWall Newsletter (May 25, 2022) and at the bottom is this little tidbit:

Last Time Buy Announcement:

SonicWave 224w, 231c, and 231o access points.

During this phase, SonicWall will no longer actively manufacture or sell the product. Some of them are eligible for upgrade.

This leaves one month to place an order for these SonicWave 200 series APs. https://www.sonicwall.com/support/product-lifecycle-tables/sonicwall-sonicwave-series/hardware/

Does anyone know what the upgrade path models are for these? The SonicWall web page (https://www.sonicwall.com/sonicwall-promotions/customer-loyalty-program/) does not include pertinent (i.e., current) information.

Thanks!

Category: SonicWave
Tagged:

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It took some doing, but I did learn that the new 600 series will replace the 200 series.

The 641 and 681 are Wi-Fi 6 devices. My understanding is that pricing will be available in June.

It seems they are only available at launch in the US (provided the problem with chips and ships is resolved) and - based on SonicWall University training - will ONLY be managed by WNM after launch for some indeterminate amount of time.

Now I have a few weeks to review other vendor offerings or try to nab the last few remaining 231c devices from stock.

Answers

• ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Larry I can still hear the full-bodied product advertisements. I "only" have six devices at customers and another 5 in stock.

Spent so much time with these things and wondered why I wasn't selling another solution.

Now the decision is taken from me. Thanks a lot.

just have to confess it to the customer... and wrestle another investment

--Thomas

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

I also learned there are some differences in this new offering.

The 231c has a SKU that provides 5-year license and costs between $700 and $800 (which includes the early 2022 16% price increase).

The new 641 SKU comes with a 3-year license and costs 225% more than a 231c.

I'm pointing this out because when I explained to a client how this recent update was going to impact their budget, her response was pretty straight-forward: "This is just for WiFi equipment, right. What, are they putting Bitcoins inside this stuff? Research other vendor products, and if you can't obtain anything else, order the old ones the last week of June."

All I can say is: SonicWall, you just made it easier to put other vendor products inside my client's network.

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

you are absolutely right. due to this price hike, now I am start using other vendor products (enterprise AP with free Cloud controller) and those units not required any subscription.

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

The June 2022 price list is now available for SonicWall partners.

It does not contain ANY reference to the SonicWave 600 series.

You EOS a device and then don't provide any information or ability to obtain a replacement device.

OK, I'm done.