Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

2 internet services graceful failover

It is that time of year again. (first summer that we have 2 internet services)

We have the sonic firewall setup to load balance. We just had a lightening strike that took out one of the internet providers (it was down for about 30 minutes.

The workstations seemed to be pretty random as to if they would stay connected to the internet. Is there something we are doing wrong? It also seemed some sites where available on some work stations not on others.

once the charter service came back up - everything went back to normal.

thanks

sam

Category: Firewall Management and Analytics

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@skunkworks how did you setup your Type of FLB, is it Basic Failover, Ratio, Round robin or Spil-over?

What is the LB status when one line is down? It might be still up if you don't setup the Prob correctly.

What Firmware we're talking about?

--Michael@BWC

• skunkworksskunkworks Newbie ✭

It is running firmware 6.5.4.9-93n

it is running round robin.

Thanks!

sam

What does it use to sense the service is down? is it strictly the physical connection? If that is so - then I bet that might be part of the problem (the connection goes though a fiber link - so the actual port in the sonicwall was still active.

sam

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

This is way I asked for the LB status. You can do a real alive check by activating the probing, which can be configured either on the LB group on the tab "Probing" or by member interface and the Physical Monitoring is the Default here.

This is usually the problem when you have router or modem attached to your WAN port and doing DHCP or static addresses, physical monitoring does no good here and logical (probe) monitoring should be used instead to see any outage.

You can see the result of the logical monitoring in the columns Main and Alternate Target if configured.

--Michael@BWC

Thank you! I have changed the probing.. We will see how this works the next time we get hit.

sam