Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Multiple Gen7 firewalls constantly rebooting.

PaulKueflerPaulKuefler Newbie ✭
edited January 2022 in Entry Level Firewalls

I have been sitting on hold with SonicWALL Tech support for the past hour to determine if they are aware of issues with the Generation 7 firewalls. Almost all my clients networks are experiencing outages with Gen7 TZ firewalls. Anyone else also seeing this?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Options
    BretBret Newbie ✭

Yes. From what I can tell it is only Gen 7 devices on the latest 2 or 3 versions of the firmware.

I have noticed some need to be manually restarted then they will restart themselves and I now have a couple that are stable. Others I cant get to.

• Options

I just found this redit thread. I am about to try what they suggested. Stay tuned.

Is Something going on right now? : sonicwall (reddit.com)

• Options

I just made the changes suggested and so far so good. Now to try to move on to the rest if they will stay up long enough to allow me to change remotely. Its going to be a long night if SonicWALL doesn't get this figure out soon.

• Options
    3SP3SP Newbie ✭

They posted this too - Gen7 Firewall Inacessible/ Reboot Loop from 20th Jan 2022 | SonicWall

If you have noticed the firewall has been stuck at a reboot loop starting from 9:30 PM EST ON 20 Jan 2022 onwards then implement the workaround that is listed below.

Step 1: Unplug the WAN connection (If you are unable to login to the firewall) 

Step2: Login to the firewall from the LAN

Step 3:  Navigate to The Diag page. This can be reached by typing in the LAN IP of the SonicWall in the browser, with a IP/sonicui/7/m/mgmt/settings/diag at the end.

EXAMPLE: 192.168.168.168/sonicui/7/m/mgmt/settings/diag. 

Step 4: Click on internal settings to access the internal settings page or diag page. Please search for the option " Enable Incremental updates to IDP,GAV and SPY signature databases "

DISABLE (Uncheck) this setting and select ACCEPT ..It is important to select Accept for the setting to take effect.  

Step 5: Plug the WAN Connection and restart the firewall.

Step 6: Monitor the firewall if this addresses the issue else reach out to support for further assistance.  

• Options
    TCWheelerTCWheeler Newbie ✭

All my TZ 470's are down with 530 firmware.

• Options
    RobbertRobbert Newbie ✭

had this issue as well and we've temporarily mitigated all the issues and we're still waiting for an official statement from sonicwall as for some reason Global.sonicwall.com dns entry disappeared of the face of the earth, this shouldn't be causing your sonicwall gen7's to lock up or get stuck in a boot loop or whatnot.

interested to see how sonicwall is going to address this in a statement + fix.

• Options

Same problem here!

Dozens appliances freezed in this dawn

Almost return after reboot, but some not return.

• Options

E ai Igor...

follow these steps....

we have more than 30 customers

hahah

• Options
    jzkkn5jzkkn5 Newbie ✭

Same here, I rebooted 2 of the Gen 7 firewalls and they did come back online. I then seen this thread and will disable that setting under the Diag screen. Hopefully they will fix this so we can enable that setting

• Options
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Robbert where did you came across the global.sonicwall.com DNS request, I did some digging and wasn't able to find it in my lab environment👨‍🔬. If it's ZeroTouch related maybe it's because I disabled ZT on MSW, but I highly doubt that this request is usage dependent.

I saw it mentioned on Reddit, but nowhere besides that.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    BretBret Newbie ✭

Sonicwall pushed a KB about it:

Dear SonicWall Partners,

If you’re customers are experiencing issues with their Gen 7 Firewalls starting last night, please refer to the workaround fix below. Formal communication should come out but use this in the meantime to get ahead of this issue.

• Options
    I had 6 come back online after pulling power and plugging back in. Some clients may have done this on their own, so it could be more.
  • Options
    BretBret Newbie ✭

Same. Issues seems to be resolved. If you device is unresponsive manually power cycle it and it should come back online and be stable.

• Options
    EnaEna SonicWall Employee

Hello!

We have an open discussion on this topic that is being monitored and responded to by SonicWall. I am closing this thread and invite you to join the conversation over at: https://community.sonicwall.com/technology-and-support/discussion/3556/some-gen-7-firewall-users-are-experiencing-service-interruptions#latest

This discussion has been closed.