Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Need help getting a SonicWave 231o back Online in WNM

LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Background:

Client site has a Verizon Fios modem and existing SonicWave 231o connected to it via POE injector and ethernet cable. There is no SonicWall firewall involved in this configuration - it is a pure-play WNM environment. At the end of May, I added another 231o to the site via mesh configuration. Everything has worked fine for the past few months.

Now:

The second device has gone Offline. I removed it from the installed location, brought it back to the modem and connected it (both in and out) on the POE injector. WNM reported "online" at that point.

I disconnected everything and returned it to the site. Now, only the power light is on (no 2.4 or 5 Ghz lights) and WNM still shows Offline.

I am wondering if there is some step I missed before I disconnected the AP from the modem (although I don't think so). I also cannot find any KB articles on this topic.

Almost all documented troubleshooting descriptions for SonicWaves includes the steps to take at the firewall, only this is a pure-play WNM environment. There IS NO firewall.

I have an open support case. The first CSR suggested reading the two WNM PDFs, which was not helpful. The second CSR's write-up of a 30 minute phone conversation contains lies and misrepresentations, which is beyond disgraceful.

I'm hoping the community knows what to do...

Category: Wireless Network Manager

Answers

• Options
    ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Larry i run into this mess with a 224.

check that the 231o has a valid license :

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/what-happens-when-sonicwave-license-expires/200629042827257/

check with the SonicWifi App on your mobile for informations on this offline device. ( WCM is awful and not in sync for informations and status when your boot your device. It takes to much time to get information to the cloud ...)

PoE power decrease by an PoE Adapter with lower quality -- could be ther is to less power for booting.

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/basic-troubleshooting-of-sonicwall-access-points/170502817598790/

do a reset : care for the 3 or 8 seconds while pressing the button

If you succed with safe mode : access the sonicwave and have a look to the firmware status. I sometimes must manually upload the firmware

hope you´ll get it back to life

--Thomas

• Options
    ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

@Larry look here for informations regarding the LEDs on the Box and troubleshooting on page 84

https:// www.sonicwall.com/ techdocs/pdf/ sonicwave-deployment-guide.pdf

--Thomas

• Options
    AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Larry

Do one thing reset the offline 231o unit and connect it back and make sure in WNM-->AP Policies--> Configure the Local credential for managing the device. As well as check when WNM showing the offline device,try to reach the Sonicwave through the LAN IP. If it's reachable login with the above configured local credential and download the TSR and submit to the support for the further case study.

• Options

It is 86 degrees (30 C) outside, so I don't feel like pulling out wires and running the device around if it isn't going to do anything.

Instead, I spent an hour in a remote session with CSR on this.

He took assiduous notes and transferred over lots of files. I showed him the environmental layout using the built-in WNM WiFi planner, which has a Google Earth view of the client's outdoor site.

Will wait to see what comes of that...

• Options

Following up on this because the case eventually closed.

CSR at the time insisted upon taking the unit back to the Verizon modem, connecting it, and updating the firmware.

That did bring it back online and it did retain the settings when placed back outside.

However, it did fail - once again - within six weeks. No resolution to that case as the Wi-Fi was turned off at the end of the season.

• Options
    VamsiVamsi SonicWall Employee

Hi Larry,

As this is a Mesh link formation issue, we need the TSR Logs and the network topology to narrow down the issue further and we might need a live troubleshooting session for this issue to provide the appropriate resolution. so, requesting you to please reach our tech support team at your availability to narrow down the issue further.

Vamsi

• Options

Timely post. I am about to re-activate that device tomorrow afternoon. And it requires taking it down from its current location, bringing the AP and the POE injector to the room housing the Verizon FIOS modem and reconnecting it to the internet.

If I can access it via WNM, then I'll pull down the TSR. However, if I cannot, sitting in a utility storage room while waiting for a CSR to take a call is pretty much on the bottom of my "to do" list...

• Options

Two years later at the same client site - the same problem!

Both devices are online for several days, and both update to current firmware.

Suddenly, on Saturday, May 4 at 10:48 am, a warning is issued and the status is "offline" - that's it. Nothing else.

Good thing I took a TSR from each unit on May 3, but not looking forward to the nonsense about physically moving an outdoor device to reconnect it to the cloud...