Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Can't log into my SOHO after uploading new firmware

My login no longer works. I did save my configurations beforehand. What is the default login?

FYI: I'm a newbie; not that technical. This is for a home network. Have the SOHO between my Fios ONT and my router.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Hello @slbowen,
    If you are getting incorrect username/password error, please reset the firewall to factory default configuration. You can then import the setting file (exp). The default credentials are admin/password.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• slbowenslbowen Newbie ✭

Thanks for responding Shiprasahu93... I just tried admin/password and it still won't let me in. Yes, the error is incorrect username/password. However I did nothing to reset it. Can that done via the hardware device (if so how). Thanks.

• The only reason that it won't accept your previously configured username/password is if you booted with a backup configuration. I can't think of anything else that can cause this.

Good that you have the settings back up taken, so you can follow the procedure mentioned before.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Shipra: Not sure you saw my next comment (I don't see how to reply directly to you). I tried my old credentials and I tried username 'admin' and password 'password' (I assume that is your suggestion) and neither let me in. Can I reset from outside the device?

• shiprasahu93shiprasahu93 Moderator
    edited October 2020
    @slbowen,
    There is a reset button next to the power slot, you can hold that you 30-45 seconds and once the test light starts blinking you will be in safe mode.

Please use this KB for reference.

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/how-can-i-put-the-sonicwall-into-safe-mode/170507123738054/

You can access the safe mode page using the default IP 192.168.168.168 and boot with factory default configuration.

Once it boots up, login using default credentials and then import the settings file that you have taken earlier.

The settings file does not save the credentials, so you'll be able to log in using the default credentials.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

I haven't gotten anywhere. I've printed out various instructions. Regarding the link you gave me... I have no idea if my device (I have a SOHO from I think 2018, model APL31-089) is 'generation 5' or 'generation 6'. I also don't know if I have successfully reset the thing... there is an unmarked pinhole next the the power cord. I don't know what light I'm supposed to be looking at; I think it is the one with the wrench below it. Different instructions say hold it varying amounts of time. Some say do it while plugging in the device. If I just plug in the device that light is yellow. Holding the paper clip a certain amount of time the light goes off not on. I did experience the green lights flash momentarily.

My understanding is that I should change the Ethernet Controller TCP/IPv4 properties to some IP address (different instructions suggest different numbers... I've tried them all). No one says anything about the Default Gateway numbers.

I'm also unclear if my Fios ONT should be connected to the WAN port while all this is going on.

Know that I used to connect to this thing using 192.168.2.20.

Now I can't even directly connect using my router. I had to plug the computer directly into the Fios ONT modem.

• hi @slbowen -

Start w/ the unit powered off and no ethernet cables. Push button then power up.

If you are depressing the button correctly, the wrench light should begin blinking within about 30-40 seconds. At that point it will be reachable on X0 interface, from your PC, if you configure it using.192.168.168.168, by ping or HTTP only in Safe Mode.

Your PC during this time can use 192.168.168.2 / 255.255.255.0 . No Default Gateway or DNS will be needed until later, when the firewall's DHCP server is back in service and you can obtain IP / mask / GW / DNS automatically from it.

• GrahamGraham Newbie ✭

So kind of in the same vein here, we are going to be selling the SOHO T270 series firewalls. I was able to import a configuration file from a SOHO T250. It gave errors at first, but meanwhile got busy and after awhile it worked. I was able to login and set a strong password, then finish my configuration. Since then, the warehouse is trying to set a couple to ship out, but every time they load the config file from safe mode, it boots into HTTP mode not HTTPS mode.

They are unable to login and create a new strong password like I did as suddenly Lan has flipped from HTTPS mode enabled with the redirect into being only HTTP.

We have tried multiple times resetting to factory, then loading the config I initially used on the Lab Sonicwall device and it still resets to HTTP only. If you try to browse to the https:// IP address it doesn't find anything.

Last ditch is to change some default settings, making sure X0 LAN is set to enable redirect to HTTPS, save that config and see if it import. If it does then it all has to be setup from scratch. If it doesn't, that's a huge problem. Uses the factory firmware as well.

• GrahamGraham Newbie ✭

Figured it out. After the config loaded it was loading the page to http://192.168.3.254 but if you typed the URL correctly it resolved: https://192.168.3.254:10443. Tested on a few devices and that's it. Was in the process document the whole time.