Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Spreading outgoing messages

SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

I need to spread around outgoing email to more IP addresses to avoid throttling. I added a new outgoing path with a separate address and filled the SMTP banner field. I'm using MTA mx record routing with exceptions for internal domains.

I sent a test message with telnet and the server gives the new banner when connecting. But internally Email Security seems to deliver it forward to itself first and then send with the primary IP address and hostname.

How do I get it to send using another outgoing IP address and hostname?

Category: Email Security Appliances

Answers

• Do you only have 1 server source IP?

• SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

I currently have two, one for each node, but I have a couple more public IPs available. But it looks like I would have to use all of them for both incoming and outgoing traffic and put several addresses in the A record to match IP addresses, DNS names and HELO names.

There doesn't seem to be a way to separate incoming and outgoing IPs to completely different paths. Putting several IPs in the same A record doesn't seem like the best option to me.

• SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

According to support the recommended way is to have multiple IP addresses pointing to the same DNS hostname and PTR records. This would allow the A record, PTR record and server EHLO to match. But this also means that the incoming traffic is using round robin DNS.

This lack of control doesn't feel ideal but looks like it's the only way to do it.