Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

High Availability Unit

After purchasing several TZ 470W units I found out I can't buy a HA unit to pair it with. Only the TZ400 has this and you can't use a TZ400 HA with a TZ470W.

My thought was to just buy an Appliance Only of a TZ470W as an onsite spare, but then if my main unit dropped I'm not sure how my license would work as I would want to claim the original under warranty and if I'm not mistaken SonicWall transfer your license to a replacement unit.

So if I had a spare it looks like I would need to start a new license for it if we had to swap out.

Any thoughts or better ideas?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    Answer ✓

No problem, the reason, it doesn't work with built-in wifi is because both radios would be broadcasting and if it connected to the secondary appliance's radio you wouldn't be able to get to anywhere,

also with TZ's you may need to enable HA with Portshielding which is in the Diag page - take everything out after m/ and put diag in like m/diag, select internal settings, then search for (ctrl+f) portshield, you might as well enable the Native bridge option also then select Accept and exit Internal settings.

N.B. this option works but first you will need to un-portshield any interfaces already portshielded, then enable HA, then re-enable the portshielded Interfaces if needed after HA is setup.

Answers

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

You are correct you'd need licenses for the cold spare if you plan to use the licensed features. You'd also need a good copy of the production unit config to import otherwise you're creating the config from scratch.

Do your research / ask questions before buying hardware.

Do you really need HA or are you (or your client) just being paranoid? If you are running a low-end device such as a TZx70 series I wouldn't expect you need HA.

• RB23RB23 Newbie ✭
    edited July 2021
    My SonicWall Rep recommended this unit based on our user count. I don't consider the TZ470 "low-end" and HA is needed. We will be keeping spares on hand since HA is only on the 470 and not the 470W.
  • prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited July 2021

Hi @ RB23, are you using the built in Wireless on these devices? if not you can just purchase a secondary bare TZ470W appliance and use HA, the only time it will not let you use HA is if the built-in Wifi is enabled, you should still be able to add as a HA secondary in your MySonicWall to share the licenses, just double check this with your SE first (or test if you have a spare one registered in your MysonicWall account as you can always unassociate it)

• RB23RB23 Newbie ✭

This is great news! I can just get an Access Point and not use the built in WiFi if this is the case. I'll do testing and see how it goes. Thanks!