Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Adding Netgear Orbi AP to a new Sonicwall TZ 400 port. How?

I am trying to Netgear Orbi (router/AP) to come under TZ400, but Orbi does not seem to be taking an IP address. This Orbi was totally separate from the company LAN, but I've decided to merge it.

Tried to assign X5 WLAN with a static IP address. No internet. At this point, I don't think there was an IP for the Orbi AP, but I cannot confirm it. DHCP client list in TZ400 did not show anything. I am not quite sure what is so special about WLAN zone, so I would appreciate it if you can briefly explain it.

Next, I changed it to WLAN with Layer 2 bridge mode. Same thing. No internet.

Lastly I changed it to Unassigned, Native Bridge mode to port X0. Windows PC at the bottom right corner showed that there is internet, but I could not access any. I was able to see LAN. Come to find out that it was not able to connect internal Windows DNS. I set it to be 8.8.8.8 on the windows PC, and internet came alive. I am so very puzzled!

Please instruct me the best practice to do this. Which Zone to use and which mode on TZ400…

Right now, I put my Orbi wifi to router mode.

Thank you!

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• MarkDMarkD Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited September 13

Create a zone for Wireless as needed based on LAN or DNZ, the WLAN zone provides the ability for SonicWALL APs to download their OS from the firewall.

How do zones work in SonicOS? | SonicWall

WLAN : This zone provides support to SonicWALL Access Points (SonicPoint or SonicWave). When assigned to the Opt port, it enforces SonicPoint Enforcement, automatically dropping all packets received from non-SonicPoint devices.

The WLAN zone supports SonicPoint Discovery Protocol (SDP) to automatically poll for and identify attached SonicPoints. It also supports SonicWALL Simple Provisioning Protocol to configure SonicPoints using profiles

• StingrayStingray Newbie ✭

Wow… So WLAN is used when you have SonicWall AP. I might have tried regular LAN zone as well, because that is natural to me. Anyway, I will try it again today.

I still don't understand about DNS issue that I had yesterday, but thanks!