Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Secondary Storage Woes

SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Just did my first secondary storage installation on a Gen 7 device. Was pulling my hair out because I couldn't get the appliance to see it under Device>Firewall>Settings>Storage.

At first I thought I had it seated poorly, so I re-seated it but still no luck…reset to factory defaults a couple of times with and without the module installed.

Searched online for any information or installation instructions but only found the physical installation guide that comes with the module.

Finally realized that the module will be associated with the appliance in mysonicwall, so the appliance has to be registered first and then rebooted once for the storage to become valid and online. I was assuming it's like any storage device that will be usable directly after installation and bootup so I only checked after updating firmware and resetting to factory defaults because it's a new appliance.

This really should be documented somewhere, ideally in the installation guide that comes with the module so users don't have to waste time getting it to work.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Comments

• SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

I was wrong. Just registering the device and synchronizing licenses does NOT register the storage module and enable it.

Years ago I attended a SonicWall webinar where it was recommended to always start through safe mode, upload the desired firmware and boot to factory defaults. This doesn't work with a new appliance that has a storage module installed before first bootup. It will cause the module to not be recognized and the appliance shows an amber storage LED instead of green.

You need to install the module and boot up with the default firmware that is already in the appliance, then register it and synchronize licenses so the module shows up in mysonicwall. Only then can you upgrade to a newer firmware and even reset to factory defaults in between. I got two appliances working like this but…

I now have another appliance that isn't recognizing the storage module and I can't get it working even after several safe mode resets with and without the module and even after downgrading firmware back to 7.0.1, albeit a different version that came with the appliance since that one isn't available anymore. I don't know how I got it working the last time, but this time looks like I have to contact support to get it working.