Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Irregular noise on brand new NSA 4700?

I just plugged our new NSA 4700 in, and found that the fans(?) make a strange noise (besides the usual white noise). A semi-high pitch - almost a squeak, but not that high. I guess it won't matter since it's going into a noisy datacenter, but if there is an issue with the fans or something I'd like to know before I replace the old NSA 5600 with it. Is this normal?

Here's what it sounds like:  https://youtube.com/shorts/PGmTqPY1ZQU

Category: High End Firewalls

Answers

• OwaisAOwaisA SonicWall Employee

Regarding the noise you’ve described, it is not uncommon for new devices to emit sounds that might seem unusual at first, especially when moving from one model to another. The noise could be attributed to the design or the initial run of the fans as the device acclimates to its environment.

I recommend the following steps:

1. Log Check: Please review the system logs for any abnormal entries. This can help us identify if there are any anomalies or hardware-related concerns.
    2. CPU Core Monitoring: Monitor the device's CPU core utilization to check if there are any irregularities that might be contributing to the noise.
    3. Support Request: If you continue to have concerns or observe any abnormalities, please open a support case with us. Our team can assist in further diagnosing the issue to ensure that the device is operating as intended.