Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Use CLI to Restart DHCP Server?

TZ350 on SonicOS 6.5. Is it possible to restart the DHCP Server service using the CLI?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

IMHO there is no option to do that, you might consider disabling/enabling the whole service via CLI.

What do you try to accomplish, cleaning it up because it fills up in an unwanted way?

—Michael@BWC

• CGoodwinCGoodwin Newbie ✭

Thank you, Michael. I have 3 DHCP pools for VLANS. This has always worked as expected but 2 days ago, 1 (and only 1) of the pools stopped issuing IP addresses with no errors. "Slightly" editing the pool (change Lease Time) and committing it did not bring it back, I was forced to restart the device mid-morning, my users were unhappy.

Normally I would just test this myself with a backup, but we have a family member entering hospice right now, not a good time to be distracted with it. Can you confirm that using disable / enable at the command line won't the DHCP configurations?

Thanks again,

Chris

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited August 2

Chris, you could try one of the following (it does not break anything)

1. enabling/disabling the dhcp scope
    configure
    dhcp-server
    scope dynamic range-ip-begin range-ip-end
    no enable
    commit
    enable
    commit

2. enabling/disable the dhcp-server

configure
    dhcp-server
    no enable
    commit
    enable
    commit

I tested this for you on a NSa 2650 running 6.5.4.14.

—Michael

• CGoodwinCGoodwin Newbie ✭

Thanks so much, Michael, I really appreciate your effort. Hopefully it "won't happen again" - but we both know better.

I'll reply to this again if I end up using this so everyone knows that it works.

Have a great day.

Thanks again,

Chris