Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Any methods to allow a Windows laptop to have the same IP address whether on-prem or remote/VPN?

mikebtekmikebtek Newbie ✭

Hey Everybody, (This is my first question - sorry if I picked the wrong category!)
… We have <20 Servers and <150 "Endpoints"; no wifi; we're a small business. We have DHCP role on our Domain Controller. Our only Scope* is (x.y.z.4 - x.y.z.254; 255.255.255.0)*; we NEVER go beyond about x.y.z.199; we currently do NOT need to add an "exclusion range" to our Scope. Our switches are basically unmanaged; no MAC-binding or whitelisting is used or necessary.
… For VPN: our SonicWall "VPN/Firewall" doles out (x.y.z.230 - x.y.z.254; 255.255.255.0)*^.
… We have issues from time to time, because some workers are hybrid on-prem/remote workers and use the same laptop regardless, which results in laptop's needing 2 private IP addresses.
A) [Windows adapter A: Dell Dock/Ethernet]: On-prem, our company's laptops plug into Ethernet-connected Docks. The laptops use DHCP-reserverd IP addresses, from the *Scope.
B) [Windows adapter B: NetExtender Client/VPN]: When an employee works from home - they connect to their home router - either through Wi-Fi or Ethernet; the NetExtender client is invoked and our on-prem SonicWall appliance provides an IP address - through the Internet/Cloud - at the upper end of our DHCP's *^Scope.
C) [Windows adapter C]: *** What we want***: a method/workaround (perhaps a kind of SonicWall "NetExtender" appliance - which would be like a Dock) that workers could leave at home and would allow the laptops to use the same IP address at home as when on-prem/at the office, whether plugged into the regular Dell-Dock at work or through their home ISP's router.
… This method/"magical device or software" would either "work with" or "in lieu of" the traditional NetExtender client. This functionality/"appliance" would provide an experience like a "virtual Ethernet jack" - that would function just like an "on-prem Ethernet jack".
… I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill!!! lol … Maybe the solution is right under my nose. A 20 minute Google search provided no help so I joined this forum. Thank you all in advance for any help!!!

Category: VPN Client

Answers

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Global VPN Client can do this and is faster than NetExtender.