Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Global DNS Not Cleared After Exit

Running NetExtender 10.2.850 on Ubuntu 24.04.

When connected, this baby rocks! No complaints there.

But there are times that after exiting the VPN doesn't clean up after itself and my DNS gets messed up. Specifically, there is a Global DNS entry for my company's domain that can only be resolved when on the VPN.

So if I exit the NetExtender client and the Global DNS entry remains, I cannot reconnect to the VPN because it cannot resolve the address of the VPN server because the VPN server is on the domain and I have to be on the VPN to resolve any address from the domain.

After disconnecting NetExtender and being unable to reconnect, I check DNS status using resolvectl (see results below) and see that the VPN DNS is still active even though the client is disconnected.

Usually a reboot clears it but sometimes it persists after a restart.

I have not been able to find any way of clearing this entry. Because it isn't attached to one of the network interfaces, resolvectl revert doesn't work.

Is there a command I have not yet found that I can issue to remove this entry whenever this happens?

And is there any way for the client to have a utility menu item that will clean up after itself in case something like this goes wonky?

> resolvectl status
Global
Protocols: -LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
resolv.conf mode: foreign
Current DNS Server: 10.30.1.11
DNS Servers: 10.30.1.10 10.30.1.11
DNS Domain: aadds-mycompanyname.com mycompanyname.com

Category: VPN Client
Tagged: