Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Direct a domain name to local IP address?

Hello.

I have a NAS on the Sonicwall's local network. IT has a public IP address linked to local IP, no issues. It also has a domain name linked to it's public address, but that domain name doesn't link to the NAS from within the local network.

In previous router I could link domain with the local IP address in a Local DNS Database. How can I do this in Sonicwall?

Thanks.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@dfait this scenario asks for pinhole (loopback) NAT. You might search the forum for that, because it got answered a few times.

Short story: NAT external IP to internal IP (like you already did) but without specifying any interfaces. Then create an Access Rule for LAN-to-LAN, Source ANY and Destination X1 IP (or whatever the WAN IP is). This should do the trick.

Another approach could be by using the DNS proxy and override the public IP with the private IP for that specific hostname.

I don't like the DNS doctoring option in the NAT rules, but thats just an opinion.

—Michael@BWC

• MarkDMarkD Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

add an A record for the FQDN to your internal DNS pointing at the IP