Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Set up PPPOE line as a failover in HA setup

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a PPPOE line as a failover in HA setup.

The PPPOE line has been configured on the X2 Interface, WAN zone, with its static IP and correct credentials. It is set up in Failover and Balancing as well

The HA is configured in stateless mode, virtual mac is enabled and there is a switch between the ISP modem and the HA setup

The ISP modem is Nokia-ONT G-010G-R

The PPPOE line set up is : from the modem it goes to the switch, from the switch I have two cables - one in Primary, and another in Secondary in Port X2

I have two TZ500 boxes, Primary and Secondary in HA setup

Is my PPPOE setup correct, and do I need to do any additional settings on the firewall for the failover to work?

Any answer will be greatly appreciated

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Angel_Georgiev this setup will work but keep in mind the PPPoE link will go down in case of the failover and needs to be connected again. This may take a few seconds/minutes.

Dial-Up in HA isn't a joy, even in stateful scenarios. Best option would be a router in front of the SNWL, but this would introduce double NAT with has it's crudities on its own.

—Michael@BWC

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

PPP was OK on Gen6 but IME it's a bit flakey on Gen7.

For HA, it's always worth using a router to handle the PPP login instead of the Sonicwall. If it's just a backup line then the extra layer of NAT may not be a problem, but if its, you can ask your provider for a routed subnet.