Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

IP Helper Between 2 LAN's

I have two LAN's and each has it's own DHCP server. The two networks are separated by two firewalls and I have never had a need to place a connection between the two until now. LAN 1 is a Sonicwall TZ670 (192.168.50.0/23) and LAN 2 is a Cisco RV340 (172.16.0.0/24) and I now need to place devices from LAN2 on LAN1. I'm assuming I'll need to implement VLAN's for LAN1 and LAN2 and I'm also assuming that I will need to use IP Helper to setup a DHCP Relay Agent on the Sonicwall. However, is there more to it than that or am I missing something?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If there is already a DHCP server in each network, then what is the helper going to be doing?

Your "real" question seems to be, how can I connect the two networks together? I think you need to take a spare interface on each firewall, connect them together, configure a network between them for routing and create a static route on each firewall pointed at the other firewall's IP in the routing network. Create access rules to suit the level of access you desire.