Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

TZ670 Renew Services or Upgrade

I have a TZ670 for 3 years that I need to renew the essential package and looking at the 3 year plan for renewal.

I see in promotions that I can do a secure upgrade from a TZ670 to a TZ670. The price for the package for doing an upgrade is $100 less than just renewing.

is there advantage to doing the secure upgrade instead of just renewing?

Here is the link on the upgrade.

https://www.sonicwall.com/medialibrary/en/datasheet/datasheet-customer-loyalty-program.pdf

thanks

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Options
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

How much is your time worth to you? If it's $0, then you are being paid $100 to accept a spare set of hardware :)

You would have a cold-spare box with no services on it, ready for emergency use, or for "lab" testing. TZ670 has 2x power inlets so you'd have a second PSU.

If you don't care about the time you'd spend on doing the swap [and it's really a pretty low-risk swap], then it seems like a bit of a no-brainer.

• Options
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Another aspect to consider is the current version of your existing TZ670's firmware.

In all likelihood, newly manufactured TZ670s will have 7.1.1, and all the associated birthing problems.

If you are running 7.0.1, my suggestion is you stay there and renew your subscription. You can always upgrade later after SonicWall provides consistent device stability.

As @Arkwright asked: How much is your time worth?

• Options
    RinconmikeRinconmike Newbie ✭

thanks. I am still on SonicOS 7.0.1-5111-R4251. Been holding off on 7.1.1. I need to update to the latest 7.0.1 but have not had issues for a while.

For a swap, is it just setup and activate the new one and then import the settings using an export of the old one?

Should I make sure both are on the same FW version, meaning whichever the FW of the new one is make sure the old one is the same?

• Options

SonicWall states that you should update the firmware to the latest version right after you get it out of the box and activated (no telling how long it was on the shelf, nor what transpired).

And absolutely, you must make certain the two devices are at the same level of firmware.

If both are at 7.0.1, then an export-import should work.

Again, I do not know if new devices are shipping with 7.1.1, and I don't know if there is any way to confirm with distribution or SonicWall Sales.

But if the new device comes with 7.1.1, you must use the Migration Tool to adjust your settings accordingly.

• Options

Thanks. So if the new unit comes with 7.1.1 and I want to go to 7.1.1, can I just update the old unit to the same current 7.1.1 and export the configuration and import it in the new one?

Also, if the new unit comes with 7.1.1 and I want to go to 7.0.1 can I just factory reset the new unit and update (or downgrade) to 7.0.1?

Another thing is I have 8 SSLVPN. I really need only two but would like at least four (for furture) so I rather not lose any. Last time I upgraded from a 2650 to the 670 they did not transfer the six vpn I had on the 2650. All these are from previous upgrades (2400 to 2600 to 2650) and I never bought. On the previous upgrades they always transferred and added the two free ones that came with the new unit. Going to the 670 the system would not transfer the six I had. I had reached out to SonicWALL and after a whole, they finally give them back since a sales rep at the time told me they should transfer over. They stated now with upgrade the “free” licenses don’t transfer anymore.

The sonicwall is a hobby for me I have been using since a SOHO or SOHO2 (I forget) at home and some small construction sites but now only have the TZ670 at home so I only mess with it on setting it up when I get a new one or doing the updates or making some changes (new devices, port forwarding, etc…). Last time I went from 2650 to the TZ670 and for that just set everything up since at the time I read that is better and did not think I could import from the NSA to 670 (so I did not try). I have a bunch of port forwarding, use SSLVPN, and other things. It has been a year or so since I did my last update so I need to update to the latest 7.0.1 at a min. And then I need to deal with expiring services.

My current TZ670 has been up for 441 Days.

Firmware Version SonicOS 7.0.1-5111
    ROM Version 7.0.0.9

I see the current 7.01 is Version 7.0.1-5151 March 2024 and at a min I think I should update to that and may do this weekend.

thanks again.

Mike

• Options

So if the new unit comes with 7.1.1 and I want to go to 7.1.1, can I just update the old unit to the same current 7.1.1 and export the configuration and import it in the new one?

Yes.

Also, if the new unit comes with 7.1.1 and I want to go to 7.0.1 can I just factory reset the new unit and update (or downgrade) to 7.0.1?

I don't think that's possible, although I would not try because all my devices must be covered by SW warranty…

• Options

Is it actually impossible to downgrade from 7.1 to 7.0, or just a case of needing to factory after doing so?

• Options

I decided to go with the promotional upgrade and get the new TZ670.

My current TZ670 is on 7.0.1-5111. I was planning on upgrading to 7.0.1-5151 (latest 7.01). I may do that today.

I am not sure what the new TZ670 came with (not listed on box). Assuming it is 7.0.1, is it recommended to stay on 7.0.1 for now or just go ahead and update to the latest 7.1.1?

If staying on 7.0.1 my process would be:

1. Have current TX670 on 7.0.1-5151 (latest 7.01).
    2. Backup and export EXP file
    3. Using a direct connected PC setup new TZ670 and activate (not transfer yet, I think I get the option and have 60 days). update to 7.0.1-5151 (latest 7.01) assuming it is not on 7.1.1 and then
    4. Import the EXP file.
    5. Remove current TZ670 from network and install new TZ670 on network

If moving to 7.1.1 my process would be:

1. Upgrade current TX670 from 7.0.1-5151 (latest 7.01) to 7.1.1-7051 (latest 7.1.1)
    2. Backup and export EXP file
    3. Using a direct connected PC setup new TZ670 and activate (not transfer yet, I think I get the option and have 60 days). update to 7.1.1-7051 (latest 7.1.1) and then
    4. Import the EXP file.
    5. Remove current TZ670 from network and install new TZ670 on network

Any comments on above on staying on 7.0.1 or moving to 7.1.1 as well as the planned procedure to move to new device is appreciated.

• Options

"Ask yourself one question….do you feel lucky, firewall administrator?"

OK, 7.1 is not quite that bad. We have upgraded a handful of smaller sites to 7.1 but there is absolutely no rush to roll this out any further. If you don't need anything new in 7.1 then I wouldn't bother.

In answer to my/your earlier question, yes, you can follow the supported downgrade procedure to get from 7.1 to 7.0, it is not "special" in that regard.

• Options

The new device came with 7.0.1-5111.

After the initial setup and registration, I updated to 7..0.1-5151.

The only change in I made on the new box was new password and turned off auto download of update.

Do I need to do any further factory reset or just import the EXP file?

After the EXP import and reboot, is that it and now it is the new box with same settings? I still need to transfer the services for the upgrade but will do that later when I hook this box up to my network.

thanks

• Options
    edited June 20

I did another factory reset of the new device (figuring it is easy enough to do) and then chose manual configuration. I then chose to import the EXP.

After the import on reboot with the new EXP, I had to

1. login in again on the device with mysonicwall credentials.
    2. The Device Name was the old device name that I had as default the Serial Number. So I change that to the new device SN.
    3. the Admin login I previously changed on the old device. Teh new device after the import it was still the default admin so I changed that too.

I think that is it. I still need to check other settings to see if anything else looks different.

EDIT:

On the new device, under cloud backups. I see all the old device backups. Should I see the other device backups?

I created a new cloud backup on new device. I then checked the old device and the new backup is not there.

EDIT 2:

On mysonicwall, under each device I can see the same cloud backups. All the previous firmware backups along with current. If I delete some of the older firmware backups under the old 670 those are gone under the new 670 and same other way around

• Options

I have the new TZ670 up and running as the main unit. The old unit is still running. Both have cloud backups on. for the new unit, I see the daily cloud backups for both units. Is this normal that I see the cloud backups for the other unit. It does show which serial number the backup is for.

I see this on the unit and also on mysonicwall.