Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

VPN Users repeatedly dropped [TZ600]

254645254645 Newbie ✭

I have an issue with our TZ600 where our VPN users are being repeatedly kicked off their VPN. The only solution is to reboot the firewall whenever this starts happening (once every 24-48 hours).

I've updated the Sonicwall TZ600 to 6.5.4.14-109n but it did nothing to fix the issue. Could the Sonicwall be needing replaced?

Happens with both SSLVPN and Wireguard.

Category: SSL VPN
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    mmatt360mmatt360 Newbie ✭

I'm having a similar issue with a tz400. SSL-VPN users will get kicked out moments after logging in. Sometimes the sonicwall reboots itself, which I'm assuming is related. I saw the 6.5.4.14-109 had a resolved issue related to ssl-vpn causing reboots so I upgraded to it yesterday, then for the rest of the day it seemed fine. But then today having the same issue along with sometimes the sonicwall will reboot itself. I'm glad to know someone else is having a similar issue with these Gen6's. Something else too that idk if its related, but we have a lot of brute force login attempts for ssl-vpn in the log.

• Options
    StarcadianStarcadian Newbie ✭

I'm having the same issue on my TZ300. We had an older firmware, updated it yesterday to 6.5.4.14-109n, it was working fine for less than 24 hours and then the same issue of NE drops as soon as you establish an RDP session (for all users). Restarted the firewall and now it's working again. I'm submitting a case with Sonicwall support. We probably need to replace it as well.

• Options
    Sami_YanesSami_Yanes Newbie ✭

We are facing a similar issue with our TZ600

I monitored memory leaks on the primary firewall, while the secondary has a stable 64% in standby

The memory usage reaches 99% in about 12-24 hours then it dies, then the secondary takes over and its memory usage starts to rise again, till it also dies

It seems like there is a bug which is causing a process to leak and kill the sonicwall. I dunno, if it is a part of an attack or if it is the software itself

We are running the lastest firmware and we have all recommended protection mechanism implemented

The issue is causing our whole infrastructure to go offline.

This is NOT acceptable! and it should be addressed immidiately

• Options
    grabbathgrabbath Newbie ✭

7.1.1-7051 is also rebooting! Try it when you have an sslvpn
    configured with an LDAP server, and with some specific users. go figure
    I opened a ticket with SonicWALL, it took them a week to come back to me with a hotfix.
    It is for TZ570.
    It is also happening on gen6 with this 6.5.4.14-109n firmware, and randomly when usrers sslvpn in..
    stay on 6.5.4.13-105n for gen6.
    I have over 100 of these SonicWALL out there. Was a nightmare with these new firmware for the past 2-3 weeks.

• Options
    254645254645 Newbie ✭

Glad to hear I'm not alone.

I've already received my non-Sonic wall replacement firewall as we cannot risk having more issues and seeing the mess of the 7.x gen 7 firmware I decided not to go with Sonicwall again.

I updated to the 6.5.4.13-109n firmware which still had the issue after 24-48 hours, but after rebooting it once more the issue has gone away. I'm keeping the replacement for it on standby.

• Options
    StarcadianStarcadian Newbie ✭

We turned off a few site-to-site VPN tunnels and NE stopped disconnecting. We currently have one open tunnel. I'll report back in a few days.

• Options
    APC_cb0301APC_cb0301 Newbie ✭
    edited April 9

Sonicwall Support has provided a hot fix (hoping this finally resolves this) and are aware of the issue affecting Gen6 Firewalls. It is not public so you have to reach out to Support in order to obtain the hotfix. Commonality found was NetExtender.

Steps were to upgrade the devices to the latest firmware then apply the hotfix.

• Options
    254645254645 Newbie ✭

We don't have any site to site tunnels, only remote users. It's been a week and the VPN has been stable. I'm going to wait for the new firmware and hopefully that will be the end of it.

• Options
    254645254645 Newbie ✭

What firmware number is the hotfix? Did they give an ETA on when this should be public?

• Options
    APC_cb0301APC_cb0301 Newbie ✭

Update the SonicWALL to firmware to 6.5.4.14-109n (If you get an error that it can't upload the firmware as the memory is full; reboot the SonicWall then try uploading the firmware.) | The Firmware number for hotfix is | SonicOS Enhanced 6.5.4.14-111n--HFGEN6-2333-16n. We did not get an ETA on when this will be public.

• Options
    shinesystemsshinesystems Newbie ✭

Unfortunately the maintenance/support expired last week on one of my NSA2600, so I can't raise a ticket to receive the hotfix!

I also can't renew the support (due to the 2600 being EOL) so I am having to order a new firewall.

• Options
    tmw761020tmw761020 Newbie ✭
  • Options
    DK1973DK1973 Newbie ✭

I work for an MSP and we have hundreds of Gen6 firewalls we manage. So far we have reports of about 6 or 7 customers experiencing this issue. Like others have posted, reboot or flip to HA unit stabilizes it for a little while, but then the next day it happens again. Spent about 3 hours on the phone with SW support, and got hotfix firmware for 8 different models of firewall, just in case. (They had to create a separate ticket for each one, then get approval to attach each firmware, so that's why it took so long.) Applying hotfix to a few units tonight and will see if it gets cured or not. We are also seeing tons of brute force SSLVPN attempts, but unclear if it's related. We blocked a bunch of countries in Geo-IP settings today on one unit and it seemed to help.

• Options
    PaulPPaulP Newbie ✭
    edited April 11

I was able to get the hotfix that is only available by request. I called SonicWall support yesterday 4/10 and finally after an hour of the most annoying hold music ever someone answered. Support was able to upload the hotfix onto "mysonicwall" and once it was downloaded and installed, everything was back to normal.

I would open a ticket and then call them immediately just so they have a reference and can pull up your issue easier.

GG

• Options
    BizIdentBizIdent Newbie ✭

Glad I found this thread, same issue with Gen6 TZ500, started recently and it's not just NetExtender. Just opened ticket for this hotfix.

• Options
    KevTKevT Newbie ✭

We logged this today and got a hotfix within an hour for our TZ-300's, I'll be applying out of hours - but the tech seemed confident it would fix the issue.

• Options
    Sami_YanesSami_Yanes Newbie ✭
    edited April 12

We solved our issue, after we monitored thousands of events for Logs - Settings - Users - Authentication Access - Wrong User Password

Check this value and make sure you are not having a brute force attack on your wan ports

If this is the case, then turn off virtual office and all Management and User Login access to the wan ports

Good luck!

• Options
    JDAJDA Newbie ✭
    edited April 12

Can someone post the version number(s) of the Gen7 Hot Fix. I was given one weeks ago but it has not worked. Support also not answering our support case requests.

• Options
    JDAJDA Newbie ✭

We were give sw_tz_470.7.1.1-7051-R3176-HF46826.bin.sig for TZ470 last week and still reboots. Is this the current Hotfix for Gen 7's? Thanks.

• Options
    WorkerBlue39WorkerBlue39 Newbie ✭

Same issue. Waiting on the hot fix from support apparently.

• Options
    JDAJDA Newbie ✭

sw_tz_470.7.1.1-7051-R3262-HF46826.bin.sig is the latest for the 470 that is supposed to fix…

• Options

We're on 6.5.4.14-109n and still having the issue.

• Options
    254645254645 Newbie ✭

I upgraded to the same firmware, and after a second reboot everything has been working normally for just over a week now. I'm still hoping for a public firmware update that fixes the issue completely. I have a new firewall ready to install just in case it goes down again.

• Options
    edited April 12

Submitted a support request and they gave me firmware sw_tz-400_eng_6.5.4.14-111n--HFGEN6-2333-17n_6.5.4_release_6_5_4_1_17n_1295194

This appears to have fixed it.

• Options
    Overflow2021Overflow2021 Newbie ✭

Disabling Virtual Office Portal worked on my Gen6's

• Options
    BizIdentBizIdent Newbie ✭

On our TZ 6 Gen, FW hotfix: 6.5.4.14-111n--HFGEN6-2333-16n fixed it. Interestingly build date is 16 March so it's a known issue for at least a few weeks..

• Options

We're also seeing this across a broad range of SonicWall devices. Older devices with lower capabilities seem to be more prone to the problem but we are seeing this on newer devices like the x70 series and NSA as well.

Does anyone have any additional info on mitigation?