Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

TZ 400 is not passing correct DNS servers over LAN DHCP, but is passing correct ones over WiFi DHCP

I'm running an Ubuntu utility server with Pi-Hole at 10.0.0.6 for my LAN DNS, backed up with 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 as backup DNS servers.

At least, that's what I put into the fields under Network -> DNS.

When I look at my wifi network settings, the correct DNS servers are getting passed down over DHCP.

When I look at my wired network settings, it's showing me 10.0.0.5, which is a deprecated windows server, with 8.8.8.8 as a backup.

I've confirmed this with other PCs on the network, and it persists after renewing leases, but I have no idea where those deprecated DNS server settings may be buried.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• Options
    CORRECT ANSWER
    MarkDMarkD Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Check your DHCP scopes bound to each interface on the FW

(Manage/Interfaces/DHCP) the scope can either be Inherited from SonicWALL's DNS settings (Network/Manage/DNS ) or Specified Manually in the scope.

ie

Answers

• Options
    bkdbkd Newbie ✭

That was it.

I have no idea why I wouldn't have have initially told it to inherit, but there we are.

• Options
    MarkDMarkD Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Glad its now sorted

• Options
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

If you have failover & LB configured, with different DNS on different WANs, then the inherited DNS can change.