Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

TZ370 not connecting in data closet but does at ONT

I am replacing a TZ300 that is installed in a wiring closet. when we installed the TZ370 it would not connect. After we exhausted all possible configuration errors we moved the TZ370 out to the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) and plugged it in with a patch cable. the TZ370 came up immediately.

the Wiring closet is about 150-200ft away from the ONT location. Now when the TZ300 is in place in the Wiring closet it connects to the ONT without issue but when the TZ370 is plugged into the same cable run it fails to connect.

I am at a loss as to why the TZ300 works without issue and the TZ370 fails to connect using the same network run.

any thoughts?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Options
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Test the cabling. If you can't fix the cabling, installing an intermediate switch might work around the issue.

• Options
    KMBITKMBIT Newbie ✭

Arkwright,

understood and I have asked the customer to test the line. but it makes no sense since the TZ300 works just fine with the current cabling, are there differences between the TZ300 and the TZ370 Wan ports that could explain why the 300 is working and the 370 will not? I expect that we may find an issue with the cable or termination but the logic of one working and one not working still baffles me,

Kevin

• Options
    KMBITKMBIT Newbie ✭

Well the customer has tested and it shows pin one open. they have re-terminated both ends and it still tests with pin one open. so it must be in the cable run. they are running a new cable, but not until a week from this Monday. My Question ( and the customer's) is how is it working with the TZ300 if the cable is bad?

So Confused!!!

• Options
    KMBITKMBIT Newbie ✭

UPDATE: So the customer wanted to get the network up and running now - so we decided to get creative with the wiring and I had them re-terminate the lines on both ends again but using brown/white brown as the wires for pins one and two since there is no POE in play on this run to the ONT. And with that the open on pin one was resolved and the network came up. They will still install a new home run with shielded CAT6e next week but the new Firewall is now on line.

This still leaves the question on how the hell the old SonicWall TZ300 was able to work when there was an open on pin one? Any thoughts on this? the customer is rightfully asking me for an explanation and i can not thing of how/why this would work with an open.

are there any plausible explanations for this?

Thanks

Kevin

• Options
    Halon5Halon5 Enthusiast ✭✭

Hi Kevin,

What cabling standard was followed?

Thanks, Stephan.

• Options
    KMBITKMBIT Newbie ✭

Stephan,

it appears that this was wired in the "A"