Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Bandwidth in site-to-site vpn

We have two office units. In one unit we have a TZ400 firewall. We are thinking about purchasing a new sonicwall firewall TZ370 in our second ( new ) unit. If we configure site-to-site VPN between our two offices, what is the max bandwidth ( practical values ) that we can get with these devices?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Options
    A_ElliottA_Elliott Enthusiast ✭✭

depends on:

-speed of your internet pipe at each location

-QoS settings

-amount of users at each location

-security services used at each location/on each firewall

(all of the above come into play for each firewall's load)

I don't think I've tested from a TZ to TZ in a long time, but with 1gbps/1gpbs DIA fiber at all locations, I can do an iperf test and see 300-800mbit/sec between my TZ470s and my NSa2700. The TZ670 often stays on the upper end of that. I have all security services, including DPI-SSL inspection on, although the tests have been done mainly during off-hours so I can get a picture of the potential speeds with an "idle" network. (obviously some stuff is always doing something, but no users/no guest network full of phones and such to muck up the tests)

I will say that in my experience, that TZ400 will be your limiting factor in reaching maximum bandwidth, assuming your internet speeds aren't.

• Options
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Per the TZ400 spec sheet, 900Mbps is the upper limit for IPsec traffic. If you are inspecting the VPN traffic with other services as well, you can expect lower throughput.