Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

DNS Filtering in 7.1

Hi,

I'm trying to get the DNS filtering working in 7.1, but I think I'm missing something, as nothing is reported.

I've added DNS rules, as below.

The DNS Filtering profile is set to block all categories. But it doesn't appear to block anything.

Is there anything I'm missing? The KB articles don't mention anything else to enable.

Thanks,

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answer

• Options
    CORRECT ANSWER
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@MartinDT I activated the Trial on my test appliance and it is doing what was expected.

Did you made sure that the client is using the Firewall as DNS? Isn't your proxy rule #1 allowing the traffic before getting to the Filter Rule?

--Michael@BWC

Answers

• Options
    MartinDTMartinDT Newbie ✭

That was it, I was using Google as the DNS server. Setting the firewall as the DNS forwarder fixed the issue.

Will there be any performance issues, when using the firewall to process DNS requests, for approx. 10k devices? They all use the local DNS server, that will have the firewall as the DNS forwarder.

• Options
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@MartinDT I'am not using the DNS Proxy in larger deployments because of some shortcomings, it worked well in smaller environments.

10k will be a stress test, and my gut tells me to not use the DNS Proxy on the appliance and go for a dedicated resolver solution.

Maybe even a dedicated DNS Security solution would be advisable considering the number of endpoints.

--Michael@BWC