Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

SonicOS 7.1 finally arrived

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

To my surprise the release of SonicOS 7.1 made it this year, I had no hopes for a 2023 release.

More information over here:

https://software.sonicwall.com/Firmware/Documentation/232-005888-00_RevA_SOS_7.1_ReleaseNotes.pdf

I guess it's time to dig in.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Comments

• Options

Check the FAQ for some more information, DNS Filtering is a new a-la-carte (aka give me your money) option if you don't have APSS.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    Simon_WeelSimon_Weel Enthusiast ✭✭

Yesterdays blog reads: The SonicOS 7.1.1 release is now available for installation on any SonicWall Gen 7 NGFW.

So I checked MySonicwall - not there....

• Options

@Simon_Weel it was available for me, TZ and NSa all the way. Did you tried a different browser or Private Mode to access MSW? Don't forget to click the refresh button in the downloads listing, it's a caching issue for sure.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@BWC - Perhaps Michelle put her foot down and insisted everyone get a Christmas present.

I'm going to wait (until mid-Q2 2024 hoping there will be some additional MRs) before I even think about upgrading my office device.

Best of the holiday season to you!

• Options

Duh, overlooked it - the list was sorted non-chronological....

• Options

😁 we can add this to the list of reasons when not finding a specific file

1. the file is just not on MSW (e.g. because it got pulled again)
    2. the weird sort order causes confusion (sort by date)
    3. some kind of caching issue (use incognito mode or click the refresh icon)
    4. default language for downloads is german etc. (select english)

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    edited January 23

Well, it's been out for over a month now and I wonder if it's safe to use?

Edit: and then I read this 7.1 firmware.....nearly unusable — SonicWall Community

So I guess the answer is NO.

• Options

@Simon_Weel I guess it's safe to say to NOT use it at this moment. There are plenty of problems reported and I guess you should stick with 7.0.1 for the time being.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    IT_BrianIT_Brian Newbie ✭

Installed it Friday night on NSA2700 it was fine. TZ370 blew up which required me to put the TZ400 back in place. Wasted a whole day trying to get SonicWall support to answer the phone on Sunday (24/7 support is joke). If its a small office and you can wipe it and clean load 7.1.1 and enter the config by hand it seems ok. But that isn't appropriate for a head end or a medium size remote.

• Options
    edited February 12

Just received an e-mail for firmware version 7.1.1-7047. Which seems to be a tiny update, looking at the previous version number 7.1.1-7040. Release notes don't list any resolved issue compared to the previous one?

• Options

AFAIK 7.1.1-7047 only fixes the imminent vulnerabilities regarding SSL-VPN (non-authenticated login etc.) to address the CVE.

Hopefully more stable release should arrive early March, but don't quote me on that.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee

As @BWC highlighted in his comment, 7.1.1-7047 has only one fix which is for the CVE-2024-22394 vulnerability (more info available https://psirt.global.sonicwall.com/vuln-list). As a side note, the next firmware is expected to be released during the second half of March, depending on the QA tests.

• Options

7.1.1-7051 got released and seems to address a lot of the reported issues.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    GegsGegs Newbie ✭

Is anyone managing SonicOS 7.1.1 via GMS 9.3?

I'm managing numerous 7.1.1 devices via NSM and several 7.0.1 devices via SGMS 9.3. The 7.1.1 release notes state that to manage 7.1.1 devices via NSM then NSM needs to be V2.4 but the notes don't say anything regarding managing 7.1.1 devices via SGMS 9.3 so just wondering whether anyone out there is doing this.