Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

is it safe to disable unused access rules?

New to SonicWall (so far I love it), I've searched online and haven't been able to find a definite answer, but is it safe to disable unused rules? I inherited this network and I don't want to "break" anything in production. There are several access rules being used (with thousands, even millions of hits) but there are also several access rules that have no hits at all and have been classified under "unused". Will it cause any issues if I just disable those rules all together? (it's a TZ270)

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Options
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

No hits on rule = disabling won't break anything *that hasn't been used since the last firewall reboot*. How long as the firewall been up?

• Options

Been there for years. The client originally had a TZ105 that was installed 10 years or so ago. I reset all the counters and waited a few weeks and those rules still had no hits. Then I migrated the configuration (a few times) over to the now TZ270. It's been there for a week now and those rules still have no hits. I am pretty confident they're not in use any more, since the comments refer to products and services the client says they haven't used in years. But I'm still very new to SonicWall and there aren't many experienced SonicWall users in my area. So I just wanted to make sure I was in the clear first, before I went around poking at things.

• Options
    MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee

It is always a good idea to have clean and lean configuration. Any unused Access Rule or NAT Policy, just delete them.