Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Where is login attempt lockout configuration?

I know I set up a max login attempt and lockout duration on my TZ400, but I cannot find where those settings are. I've checked under VPN, SSL VPN and Users. Where is this?

Category: SSL VPN
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    CORRECT ANSWER
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓

It says "administrator/user lockout" which to me suggests both administrators and users. Yes, it's in the Administration section. But there's no setting for this in Users>Settings.

I am sure you can test this easily enough, change the value to n and fail to log in n times. What happens?

Answers

• Options
    MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee
  • Options
    SYSADMINSYSADMIN Newbie ✭

MustafaA

• Thanks for responding. I believe the setting you have highlighed is for logging into the TZ400 management web page and is not for people attempting to log into the VPN -- unless this setting defines both, but I didn't think so. I thought I had different retry and lockout settings from what that screen shows.
  • Options
    SYSADMINSYSADMIN Newbie ✭

I guess you're right. I did have a user locked out because of VPN NetExtender retries, but I thought the VPN access lockout config was somewhere different. Too bad because the admin page is not accessible outside the LAN and for us would have different lockout criteria and shorter lockout times than someone trying to hack into the VPN from the outside.

• Options
    MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee

Although this is on the Administration page, the lockout policy applies to both the administrator and user as indicated. You will get the following window if you hit the failed login attempts.