Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

How to reset a TZ170SP sonicwall router

I am trying to reset the router. Holding the reset button doesn't clear the configuration. On reboot the device still keeps the original IP address.

I have tried the procedures listed in the manuals with no success.

The customer has lost the password. I have no access to the device. I had hoped to reset the device and restore the configuration.

I realize this is an old device. I would appreciate if anyone has any insight.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Options
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@colporteur I'am not familar with that specific model, but if you hold the reset button for about 10-15 seconds, does the wrench light not come up? The appliance should be in safe mode (192.168.168.168) and can be reset from here.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    TonyATonyA SonicWall Employee
    edited October 2023

Hi @colporteur ,

As @BWC mentioned, the process is very similar to our current units. Following his comments should help you get the device into safemode (keep on eye on the wrench light to continually blink to know its in safemode) then when you are on the safemode page, you can boot with factory settings.

If the above doesn't work, then do the same step, with the reset button pressed, and while its pressed, unplug and plug the power and wait for the wrench light to continually blink.

Let me know how it goes.

• Options

Thanks to  @BWC  and TONYA for the response.

After 15 sec press I do receive a flashing light but it is not IP 192.168.168.168. It is still the address assigned by customer 192.168.89.1.

I tried @BWC suggestion with success. Safe mode with this process enabled me to provide firmware. I had safe mode before but it was holding IP 192.168.89.1 and not the default. With the default I could actually provide a firmware.

I have flattened and rebuilt the router, with a password that provides access.

Thanks again for the help folks.