Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Licensing VPN for ChromeBook

Our organization is looking at getting the Sonicwall NetExtender VPN. I see that there are 1, 5 and 10 person licenses, etc. We have several people who will access the VPN via ChromeBook. According to the information I've found, the ChromeBook users have to install the Sonicwall Mobile Connect app from the Play store, for which there are licenses.

Are these ChromeBook Sonicwall Mobile Connect app licenses distinct from or in addition to the NetExtender licenses? For example, if we have 2 users with Windows 10 and 3 users with ChromeBook, would we need a 5 license NetExtender, plus 3 Mobile Connect app licenses, or just 2 NetExtender licences and 3 Mobile Connect app licenses? Not sure how this works.

We have a TZ400 firewall.

Thanks --Mark

Category: VPN Client
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    CORRECT ANSWER
    MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee
    Answer ✓

The term "NetExtender VPN" is not the right one, it is "SSLVPN". Both Mobile Connect and NetExtender applications are for the purpose of SSLVPN. On your firewall or on your MySonicWall.com account you can see the number of SSLVPN licenses you have. There is no separate license for downloading or running NetExtender or Mobile Connect. As I highlighted previously, each connection to the firewall (regardless with NetExtender or Mobile Connect) will consume one license on the firewall. Once disconnected, it will release the license.

Use Case:

Let's say you have 10 SSLVPN licenses on your firewall. You may have 100 remote users installed Mobile Connect or NetExtender, which platform it does not matter, only 10 concurrent users will be able to connect to the firewall. The eleventh remote user will not be able to connect due to the license limitation.

NetExtender application can run on Windows and Linux platforms.

Mobile Connect application can run on Windows, iOS, macOS, ChromeOS and Android platforms.

Answers

• Options
    MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee
    edited September 2023

Hello @SYSADMIN , both Mobile Connect and NetExtender applications are for SSLVPN connections. You can use any number of combination with Mobile Connect or NetExtender regardless of the platform (Windows, Linux, ChromeOS, iOS, Android) and each connection will use/require one license.

• Options

Thanks for your reply. So that I understand clearly, if I have a ChromeBook I will need one license for it from Sonicwall for the NetExtender VPN. The Chromebook also apparently needs an app: Sonicwall Mobile Connect, which I've downloaded and apparently does not have a licensing cost associated with this app. As far as you know, this should be all I need, right?

• Options

OK, thanks. I think that answers my question. If I have more questions, I'll be back!