Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Can't mix PPPoE and Static on WAN ?

I have an older NSA (due to be replaced.... but not this month)

I previously had two ISPs, both providing static IPs. One circuit (X2) was much faster than the other, so the secondary connection (X1) is only there for basic fail over. Worked well for years.

I've now got a third circuit (X5), with equal speeds to primary circuit. It's a PPPoE circuit.

When I try to add a PPPoE connection in the WAN zone, it just won't let me? The selection for connection type is just greyed out?

I also tried using the CLI, and similarly it won't let me assign a different type.

I must be missing something here?

I've used PPPoE on Sonicwall units before, and it's in the manual as just change that dropdown...

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• Options
    CORRECT ANSWER
    prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @furicle , yes on 5.9 you can not have HA with Dynamic WAN Interfaces (the SonicWall classes PPPoE and DHCP as Dynamic), you would need to upgrade to a newer appliance

Answers

• Options
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@furicle what NSA and what Firmware you're currently using? Maybe there is an explanation for that.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    furiclefuricle Newbie ✭

It's an NSA240 running 5.9.2.13-7o

(yes, I know it's old)

• Options

Hi @furicle, are you running HA ?

• Options
    furiclefuricle Newbie ✭

Yes, I am.

Would that affect things?

• Options
    furiclefuricle Newbie ✭

Oh, yay.... that's less than optimal :-(

So if I disable HA and remove the secondary firewall, I could have failover to PPPoE ?

I mean, the correct solution is replace the hardware, I acknowledge that, but I'm in stop gap mode for at least a couple months here.

One of the two ISPs are more likely to fail than the hardware in my estimation, even with the age of the hardware.

I suppose I'd have a 'warm spare' at least, if not HA.

• Options

Hi @furicle, yes if you disable the HA the option won't be greyed out anymore on the WAN Interface settings