Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Application Control

Good day,

I have enabled application control for the whole social media category. Once I enabled it, it seemed to work fine. Blocking apps like facebook,instagram etc.

After some time I noticed that all of those apps are accessible again. In the logs I can see a Application control Alert for all those applications. It also states that the action was dropped, but I can still access those applications

I then went and blocked the YouTube application and that seems to work no problem. It always blocks YouTube for the specified Zone.

Application control is enabled for the zone.

I initially thought that I had to enable DPI-SSL, but the logs shows that it is dropping the packets and YouTube is being blocked which is also HTTPS traffic?

Could there be something I am missing, because everything was working fine when I initially set it up.

Any help and ideas are appreciated.

Category: Firewall Security Services

Answers

• Options
    ChojinChojin Enthusiast ✭✭

If it is especially for Youtube/google you may try to block the quic protocol.

• Options
    AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

@SOILL_IT

Try to apply as same as below scn shot.

ie. I used P2P. Instead the P2P use the Multimedia category.

• Options
    ChojinChojin Enthusiast ✭✭

You can block quic here, if you do so the traffic will go to https and not quic and you settings may work again:

• Options
    SOILL_ITSOILL_IT Newbie ✭

Hi,

I have already done a block on the specific category. I can see in the logs that the firewall is picking up the traffic, even showing that it is dropping the packets, but social media like instagram,facebook, twitter is still working. YouTube and snapchat blocks are working 100%. I am not sure what I am missing.