Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Going from a NSA2600 to a TZ640 with 3 switches

I have 2 switches that are currently connected to a switch that connects to a nsa2600. When I swap out the nsa with a tz640, should all 3 switches connect to the tz or keep it the way it is. The customer has student laptops, printers and a server used just for updates, all other is traffic to internet for email and student access.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

@pendek244

Can you brief about your switches? is it L2 /L3? is there any VLAN configured on the switches / NSa2600?

• Options
    pendek244pendek244 Newbie ✭
    L2 n yes vlans
  • Options
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Ultimately this comes down to preference. Is there a need to connect all three switches directly to separate firewall interfaces? No.

I personally don't like to have a firewall play any other roles besides firewall. There are switches for a reason.

For sanity sake it's always best to make the least amount of changes at the same time. If something goes wrong you can revert one change rather than try to figure out which of the 10 changes caused the issue.

• Options
    MarkDMarkD Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

leave the firewall to be a firewall - BUT bandwidth limitation is per physical interface