Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

How to test/verify Traffic Priority setting in Bandwidth Management Configuration

Hi,

I created two access rules (traffic class A and B)and each rule is associated with a bandwidth object, one has high traffic priority and another one has low traffic priority. Base on the below page, in case there are not enough bandwidth, I was expecting the traffic class A (high priority)will have more bandwidth allocated than traffic class B(low priority) or the traffic class A is transmitted faster than traffic class B. However what I observed was that both traffic have similar bandwidth and transmitted the same amount packages in the similar time.

Do you know how I can verify or test the traffic priority? I used iperf and bandwidth monitoring feature on SonicWall.

Thank you in advance.

Shihua

http://help.sonicwall.com/help/sw/eng/9300/26/2/4/content/Firewall_BWM.085.5.html

Weighted Fair Queuing

Traditionally, SonicOS bandwidth management distributes traffic to 8 queues based on the priority of the traffic class of the packets. These 8 queues operate with strict priority queuing. Packets with the highest priority are always transmitted first.

Strict priority queuing can cause high priority traffic to monopolize all of the available bandwidth on an interface, and low priority traffic will consequently be stuck in its queue indefinitely. Under strict priority queuing, the scheduler always gives precedence to higher priority queues. This can result in bandwidth starvation to lower priority queues.

Weighted Fair queuing (WFQ) alleviates the problem of bandwidth starvation by servicing packets from each queue in a round robin manner, so that all queues are serviced fairly within a given time interval. High priority queues get more service and lower priority queues get less service. No queue gets all the service because of its high priority, and no queue is left unserviced because of its low priority.

For example, Traffic Class A is configured as Priority 1 with a maximum bandwidth of 400 kbps. Traffic Class B is configured as Priority 3 with a maximum bandwidth of 600 kbps. Both traffic classes are queued to an interface that has a maximum bandwidth of only 500kbps. Both queues will be serviced based on their priority in a round robin manner. So, both queues will be serviced, but Traffic Class A will be transmitted faster than Traffic Class B.

Category: Wireless Network Manager

Answers

• Options
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Without paying an absurd amount of money for some commercial software, iPerf and clones are perfectly fine testers. You'll have to design your tests to meet / exceed your BWM implementation.

This kind of testing requires much planning and a thorough understanding of networking. With the amount of bandwidth available on LANs (and WANs), you're going to need some very capable hardware to really push your testing needs.